Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Speedlite 420ex on Canon G2

I've read lots of positive comments about this flash unit. Most are very technical and beyond my realm of expertise. I'm an inexperienced photographer and tend to shoot primarily in Auto mode. With this in mind, is this the flash unit I should be looking at? That is, is it versatile in Auto mode or am I wasting my money?
johnny999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2

In terms of size vs. body the 420EX is hands-down a great unit for the G-series. With my G5 it works great and the size seems to be made just for the G5- even zooms to the correct focal length as I zoom the lens in and out. The G5 is my first foray into the Powershot G-series, so I would have to go back and see how the EX units work with the earlier technology of the G2. If it works the same as it does with the G5 you would be well advised to get one. The quality of the light you'd get compared to the built-in unit would make you wonder why you ever waited to get one, and best of all there's no need to know why or how it works so well, it just DOES most everytime.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:29 PM   #3
TJ

Default I have the same problem.....

I have a G2 and will be purchasing a G5 in the very near future. I ordered a Canon Speedlite 420EX yesterday, but now I am wondering if I should have ordered the 550EX instead. I am by no means a professional. But, I do want good results from using an external flash when taking pictures. I don't know if I would ever have a need to use manual mode on a flash. Is the 550EX overkill for the G2 & G5 digital cameras, and a novice like me? Did I make the right decision in ordering the 420EX, or should I cancel my order and order the Speedlite 550EX instead? :?

Thanks in Advance,
TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:51 PM   #4

I own both the 550EX and 420EX from my prior Canon 35mm outfit. I use both with my G5 for wireless two flash setups. When I'm just using a one flash on camera it's almost always the 420EX. The 550EX isn't too big, but the 420EX is perfect and almost as powerful. With the 550EX you get the option of manual zooming in addition to autozoom, vari-power down to 1/128 power (I think), and the option of hooking up to external power sources for long shooting sessions. There are other options that you would probably never use, so I think for the money the 420EX is the correct flash for what you most likely need.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 5:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell
I own both the 550EX and 420EX from my prior Canon 35mm outfit. I use both with my G5 for wireless two flash setups. When I'm just using a one flash on camera it's almost always the 420EX. The 550EX isn't too big, but the 420EX is perfect and almost as powerful. With the 550EX you get the option of manual zooming in addition to autozoom, vari-power down to 1/128 power (I think), and the option of hooking up to external power sources for long shooting sessions. There are other options that you would probably never use, so I think for the money the 420EX is the correct flash for what you most likely need.
Just saw your post. I got a new G5 yesterday. Can't wait to try iy out with the 420EX.
Aviator 327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:10 PM   #6

I'm a novice...here's what I don't understand. Whats so special about these flash that makes them so expensive!

What is a flash other than a bright strobe of light?
AMiRUNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:18 PM   #7

I was taking some test shots last night with my new G5 and the 420 speedlight. Pics were coming out blank. It looked like I was taking a pic of a white sheet of paper. Couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. Then it hit me. I have the Canon 420EZ and not the 420EX like i thought i did. I haven't used my speedlight in over a year and when I saw that the G5 used the 420 I thought I was all set. I can say from experience that the 420EZ will not work with the G5. ops:
Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:33 AM   #8

Got my 420EX yesterday that I purchased from ebay. Put in on my G5 took a few test shots and the pictures were perfect. Glad that I got it. Unfortunately, the inst manual is in French which is of no use to me. If anyone is interested in the French language version PM me and let me know.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:19 PM   #9

You are correct. The EZ models will not work with the new Canons. I tried an EZ model with my G2. I contacted Canon and they verified that the EZs will not meter correctly. They can be used on manual mode. Get the EXs, I have the 420ex and 550ex as well as the ST-E2 Transmitter.

The only problem I have with the G2 and EX flash is the lag. My subjects invariably "blink" with the preflash. This is not a problem with strobes and my Digital Rebel since there is almost no lag time. I recently purchased the Nikon AS-15 for my studio strobes. I used a cheap adapter for Rebel and had some excellent results, but I worry about the electronics with studio flash. Has anyone encountered any prblems using small studio strobes and a hotshoe adapter with their digitals?
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:53 AM   #10

to Ctrak. I don't own studio strobes, but a couple of old Sunpak handle mount strobes - the 544 & 522. I bought a Wein Safe-sync filter, & these strobes STILL don't work. Then after I contacted Canon they told me the Sunpaks are TTL & I needed E-TTL. I bought the 420 EX & am NOT pleased with the results. I am still getting nothing worth looking at! My on-board flash does a better job than the 420 - when it works! I am going to have a friend test it on his 10D for me - he has the 550. Then I'll know if it's - The flash, me or the camera. I have noticed it is VERY hard to get this flash to slide onto the hot shoe & hard to get it going off. NEVER had these problems when I ran my old Canon FD system!
From a friend who is a Tech rep with Canon. Buy the Wein safe sync filter for studio strobes because if you fry the cameras electronics it won't be worth fixing.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote