Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:07 PM   #11

It's a real pain and very time consuming. I ran a public board for a while but, it just got too crazy. Now, it's a private, by-invitation-only board. No spam, no jerks.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
It's a real pain and very time consuming. I ran a public board for a while but, it just got too crazy. Now, it's a private, by-invitation-only board. No spam, no jerks.
But you do miss out on the great feel good factor of banning someone it's always a fun way to spend my morning (I'm usually on a few hours before Jim gets his fix of banning).
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:27 PM   #13

Just glad you mods do the banning and not me, too much work. Almost fell for a banking spam the other day, good thing the computer software (norton) spotted it and stopped me.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:42 PM   #14
Administrator

Keep your system patched (latest Windows updates from Microsoft, latest updates for Adobe Acrobat and Flash Player, etc.).

If you're using Windows 7, make sure to setup a non Admin (Standard) user account and use it (to help prevent "drive by' malware from taking advantage of vulnerabilities if you're logging in with an Admin account). Just go to the start menu and use the search feature to look for "standard user account" for instructions.

As for Norton... I never use it. It's detection rate for newer malware is very bad (it only detected 43% of it according to the latest AV-Comparatives studies). I wouldn't use it if they paid me to use it, unless it was a lot of money and I didn't have any obligation to recommend it to others, which my ethics would not allow me to do.

I'd suggest other alternatives instead (for example Avira Antivir, Threatfire and Finjin; which can work together to help safeguard you from a variety of threats). You can download and install free versions for all them them:

http://www.free-av.com/

http://www.threatfire.com/

http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:05 PM   #15

Thanks Jim, have been adding additional safety software to the computer. Installed and ran some to the suggestions you gave last time and things are working much better on my system now. That is except for the user errors caused by me.
Thanks again,
Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:36 AM   #16

I use a version of 'gasp' Everyeady batteries that are marketed as holding their charge for a long time. Double-A versions sell for $10 a four-pack or so. I'm not a fan of that brand, but the extended charge holding versions live up to the claims.

I bought a pack of Duracell rechargeables because they showed a rating of 2800 mAh, but was dissapointed that they would loose their charge overnight - far worse than the Energizers I had been buying. Energizer rechargeables hold their charge for a couple weeks when new but eventually loose their longevity.

I've seen a new version of a double-A rechargeable. NiCd and NiMH batteries run at 1.2 volts making them somewhat dissapointing when used in devices designed for the alkaline 1.5 volt batteries. If you need four batteries the voltage drop is significant - 6v vs. 4.8v. To get around this for a flashlight I modded a 3 D-cell LED Maglight to accept 4-AA batteries to keep the thing bright (4.5v alkaline vs 4.8v NiMH). But back to the original point, there's a new battery on the market, a ZnCd, or maybe it was a ZnMH, but it runs at 1.6 volts. I think I might like to see an official annoucement from Canon before popping those in a Speeldite, though.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote