Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I thought he meant at night, as he was discussing getting blurry photos at night with his 18-55mm lens and asking if a different lens or a flash would be better here:
Yes - at night. My point was - you can't boost ISO up and aperture wide to a point where the camera is pretty much exposing for ambient or you will still get motion blur even with the flash. So it's going to be difficult to try and shoot at 1/8 power and still be 2 stops below ambient outdoors at night.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:16 AM   #22
Administrator

If it's as dark as I think it is where he's shooting, his shutter speeds should allow for that, reducing ambient light enough (he could use f/4 at 1/500 second near the wider end of that kit lens with a D50 and be within the x-sync speed limits).

From one of the photos he posted in another thread using the built in flash for a skateboarding photo at night, it looks like he's taking photos on a street in a residential neighborhood, and he also mentioned only being able to get 1/50 second without a flash in a different thread wondering whether to get a new lens or a flash (and if he was using Auto ISO, that was probably at ISO 1600).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:25 PM   #23
Administrator

IOW, the D50 (as well as the D40, D70 and D70s) can use a faster x-sync speed compared to most dSLR models, giving it a bit of an advantage in some conditions.

It's using an electronic shutter to allow for 1/500 second (or even faster with a manual flash), without needing to go with High Speed Sync. That's the same technique Canon was using with the CCD sensor in the original EOS-1D (which also allowed for 1/500 second x-sync speed because Canon used the CCD's electronic shutter function). The newer Canon models with CMOS Sensors can't sync that fast without using FP mode. Ditto for Nikon models using sensors other than the 6MP CCD used in models like the D50.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:05 AM   #24

I have the Nikon D70s and a Vivitar 285HV external flash.

With the flash unit on the camera, I can sync the flash up to 1/4000 sec.

With a cheap wireless trigger, I can only sync up to 1/1000 sec.

(I assume it would be similar for the D50?)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the trick with getting (at least the D70(s)) to sync that fast is not to use the iTTL mode, which my 285HV doesn't have. And it may be possible to "dumb" down a Nikon SB600 to ignore iTTL by triggering the flash unit either with a wireless trigger that doesn't support TTL or a remote cable that doesn't support TTL. (With the SB600 in AUTO mode.)
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
I have the Nikon D70s and a Vivitar 285HV external flash.

With the flash unit on the camera, I can sync the flash up to 1/4000 sec.

With a cheap wireless trigger, I can only sync up to 1/1000 sec.

(I assume it would be similar for the D50?)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the trick with getting (at least the D70(s)) to sync that fast is not to use the iTTL mode, which my 285HV doesn't have. And it may be possible to "dumb" down a Nikon SB600 to ignore iTTL by triggering the flash unit either with a wireless trigger that doesn't support TTL or a remote cable that doesn't support TTL. (With the SB600 in AUTO mode.)
Hey would the Vivitar 285HV work on my d50? And word it work wireless?
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I thought he meant at night, as he was discussing getting blurry photos at night with his 18-55mm lens and asking if a different lens or a flash would be better here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ens-flash.html

If not, and he just wants to use a flash for fill in the daytime versus freezing action, then his camera does have an x-sync speed of 1/500 second, and I've seen users report it will sync OK up to 1/800 second or faster with a manual flash (versus using a TTL Flash), since it's basically using a combination mechanical/electronic shutter design to get faster x-sync speeds than most other similar cameras. Nikon designed some of their 6MP dSLR models that way using Sony 6MP CCD Sensors. Their models using other sensors don't get that feature.

I don't know if you could get an SB-600 to work that way or not (it's got a manual power setting mode, but the camera may not allow more than 1/500 second with that flash), since you may want faster shutter speeds at wider apertures when using higher ISO speed settings (to get a shorter flash burst/lower power flash) to keep from overexposing the scene from ambient light. Someone would have to try one to find out.
Do you think the Vivitar 285HV would be good for me? Fill in flash for day time and I also need to use it wireless meaning I'd need a trigger and receiver etc? What flash should I get for fill in? Cheap please!
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:08 AM   #27

If you want a good flash for your nikon, look at the nissin di622. It sell from 140-170 dollars. And it is quite a good flash, and you can update the firmware when they come out via a usb port.