Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:30 AM   #1

Default Nikon SB80dx External Flash.

What do you guys think about the old Nikon sb80dx flash? It's the one my friend (a skateboard photographer) uses all the time with his new nikon d200.

I will use it for skateboard photography and night shooting? I just know that it's not that new and I can get it on amazon for about $180.
Attached Images

NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:37 AM   #2
NHL

What camera are you going to use this flash for?
As an older flash it's not going compatible with most newer dSLRs except in it older D-TTL exposure mode...

Have you consider a 3rd party such as the Sigma EF-530ST?
Guide number wise a 3rd party flash is more powerful (in this case 53 vs 38), and the Sigma is also compatible with the i-TTL mode for newer cameras

-> I also highly recommend the Nissin series
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...0-d5000-2.html

Last edited by NHL; Jul 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

I actually use a Nikon D50 which is from 2005.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:09 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
I actually use a Nikon D50 which is from 2005.
You really want an i-TTL compatible flash: http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/

In your price range, a lower cost 3rd party flash would probably be better i.e. more power at a lesser cost for the time when bouncing is required...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
You really want an i-TTL compatible flash: http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/

In your price range, a lower cost 3rd party flash would probably be better i.e. more power at a lesser cost for the time when bouncing is required...
Would you recommend the sb600? It's like $220 on amazon but on craigslist I can get it for $120.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:37 PM   #6
NHL

Problem is I never like 'weaker' flash. The idea here is to get the most light for the $, since you don't know how much power you'll need for each situation, and the SB600 has one of the lower GN...

You might have enough for a direct flash, but when you want to get creative by bouncing or use with a wide angle lens through the diffuser then there's not enough headroom for theses cases... Depending on the distances. Most of the 3rd patty flashes mentioned above have the almost higher power of the SB900 in comparison for a lower price.

-> Also a flash recharges quicker when it's discharged partly (in case of the higher power units) than when it has already given all it got (i.e. lower power unit)... So you may have to wait longer between shots (not so desirable when you try to keep up with the actions).

Last edited by NHL; Jul 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Problem is I never like 'weaker' flash. The idea here is to get the most light for the $, since you don't know how much power you'll need for each situation, and the SB600 has one of the lower GN...

You might have enough for a direct flash, but when you want to get creative by bouncing or use with a wide angle lens through the diffuser then there's not enough headroom for theses cases... Depending on the distances. Most of the 3rd patty flashes mentioned above have the almost higher power of the SB900 in comparison for a lower price.

-> Also a flash recharges quicker when it's discharged partly (in case of the higher power units) than when it has already given all it got (i.e. lower power unit)... So you may have to wait longer between shots (not so desirable when you try to keep up with the actions).
So what flash would you recommend for me? Fill in flash for skateboarding... cheap and good?