Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default More Flash Questions. Help!!

Ok I was reading this...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

And I saw this...

Flash: Built-in, i-TTL, GN 15/49 (m/ft @ ISO 200; 11/36 @ ISO 100), same as D70s. Same numerous and excellent sync modes as D70 and D70s. (Note to Nikon: typo has "TTL" spelt as "TLL" on page 99 of manual, last paragraph.) No ability to use built-in flash as commander for remote control of other flashes.

Does that mean I can't use my pop-up flash to trigger my external flash? Will I need the Cactus v4 set or another flash onboard?

Please help. I need to know what cheap cheap flash I can buy that will work wirelessly with my Nikon D50!

Thanks In Advance!
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,234
Default

Commander mode refers to controlling other Nikon and compatible flashes. You can still trigger remote slave flashes with the on-board flash- you won't have exposure control over them, though, and any high speed sync isn't going to work- you will be limited to the camera's basic flash sync speed. (all as far as I know, which isn't far because I don't use Nikon).
I have a flash for my Pentax which pretty much works the same. On the camera shoe, I get p-ttl use from it, but if I want to use it in wireless mode, I have to go to Manual exposure, as the flash in slave mode will trigger off the pre-flash from the pop-up. Not a problem as long as you understand how it works.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Commander mode refers to controlling other Nikon and compatible flashes. You can still trigger remote slave flashes with the on-board flash- you won't have exposure control over them, though, and any high speed sync isn't going to work- you will be limited to the camera's basic flash sync speed. (all as far as I know, which isn't far because I don't use Nikon).
I have a flash for my Pentax which pretty much works the same. On the camera shoe, I get p-ttl use from it, but if I want to use it in wireless mode, I have to go to Manual exposure, as the flash in slave mode will trigger off the pre-flash from the pop-up. Not a problem as long as you understand how it works.

brian
Alright. Well my d50's pop up flash can go up to 1/500s. Does that mean the external can too?
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
VTphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Extreme Northeastern Vermont, USA
Posts: 4,234
Default

Maybe. I'm not sure if your popup is setup to pulse the flash as some do to increase the sync speed. Does your manual have anything to say? I would try it and find out in a controlled setting.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Maybe. I'm not sure if your popup is setup to pulse the flash as some do to increase the sync speed. Does your manual have anything to say? I would try it and find out in a controlled setting.

brian
Ok so if I go out and buy a nissin di622 I can bring it home, pop up my flash and start shooting pictures with the nissin?
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
pbjunkiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 914
Default

Yes.
__________________
SportsShooter
www.85zero.com
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Yes.
Ok. Just wanted to double check and not buy a flash then not be able to use it. There is absolutely nothing on craigslist for flashes other than $200 sb600's. Any cheap flashes you would recommend? I don't want to order on amazon I just want to get off craigslist.
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
pbjunkiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 914
Default

just research if they can be used as optical slaves.

ebay has ones called yn-460's they work as optical slaves.
__________________
SportsShooter
www.85zero.com
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
pbjunkiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 914
Default

or use this on any flash you can get your hands on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OPTICAL-SLAV...efaultDomain_0
__________________
SportsShooter
www.85zero.com
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
or use this on any flash you can get your hands on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OPTICAL-SLAV...efaultDomain_0
What would be better? Nikon sb23,sb24,sb25,sb28. Or Vivitar 285HV?
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.