Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:19 PM   #11

The Pentax AF-200FG is a TTL flash made for film SLR cameras, and isn't going to be fully compatible with the p-ttl of a digital camera.
The B&H units will probably work, as long as you don't need to use High speed sync, or want to use them in auto modes as slave flashes.
To be fully compatible, you will need the Pentax AF360 FGV or AF540 FGV, or the Sigma, or Metz units mentioned above.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:12 AM   #12

Am I going to miss out a lot, if the flash doesn't do high speed sync? The B&H looks like a good buy for beginner like me. I just dont feel right when the camera is only $499 and buying a flash that is over $200.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:01 AM   #13

If you do outdoor shots and need fill flash, the high-speed sync is very worthwhile - otherwise, you have to use manual and keep your shutter speed at or below the normal sync speed of the camera. This usually means very small apertures, so you lose the shallow DOF that most people try to achieve for portrait type shots.

brian
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:28 PM   #14

Okay, I've narrowed the list down to five potential flashes. Price from low to high:
Is this just a matter of you get what you pay for? Any of those stand out as a good value in this price range?
Thanks!
mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:31 PM   #15

the sigma and metz would be the only flash I really would consider. the bell and howell are the same flashes as the vivitar. Just rebadge.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:34 PM   #16

I have a Digital Concepts flash which appears to be the same as the Vivitar and B&H units. It works for my purposes, but has the high-speed limitation. The slave function doesn't compensate for pre-flash, so is only useable in manual mode.

If you want full function from the flash unit, you will need to spend the bucks. I don't know that you always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get.

brian
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:10 PM   #17

After all that... I ended up getting the:
Bower SFD926P Digital Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax/Samsung SLR for $100 from B&H.
Seems to work well enough and the TTL function simplifies matters, but it also looks like I'm going to have practice with it to get the best results...
I'll report back later...
mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote