Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:28 PM   #1

Default Settings Outdoors Daytime

As I got such good advice for my Indoor Evening shoot last weekend, I'm asking again.

This Saturday I'll be taking pics at an outdoor adventure race. So, if it's sunny, that dappled shade business will arise. I'll have loads of time to test again. The race is all day.

I'd like to zero in on what to do for fill flash. Let's say I do A mode (f/8 or 11 and ISO auto. I have the sony a550 and sony f42 flash. The flash will be on auto.

Will that work? I'd expect the forest shots to be at 15 to 20 feet.

I've attached a junky image from my old p&s just to illustrate the situation.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Tough lighting for sure, just to make life interesting.

Depending on the flash sync speed you need to ensure that you are below this otherwise you are likely to get blown shots. The easiest way to ensure this is to shoot in shutter priority at the sync speed, or go manual and set for a slight under exposure, this will mean the flash is doing a bit more of the work and will help freeze the action (if that's what you are looking to do). Otherwise at the 1/200s (of whatever your sync is) you will get blur. Also with the aperture, I would go for setting that get your aperture opened up more than the f8 or f11 so that you can reduce the DOF somewhat. If the light is very bright then using flash might not allow that due to the sync speed again.

I'm not sure I would use flash, it's hard to tell without seeing more of the course, you might find light that works, especially if you can back light then the faces are fine which is your main concern.

I would look at a few locations this week and get someone friendly to walk through the areas so you can see what the lighting is doing to them. Aim for a similar time of day as well. Now if we only knew if you would have sun or clouds

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:52 AM   #3

I'll try to get away without flash. That sync speed will be a real restrictor. There are open spots in the forest and I know the high-speed super-exciting rocky downhill bike part is clear.

Looking at the low-res sample that the pro-photographer is selling, I think I won't take too many pics in the shady/sunny sections. They really aren't usable. Here's one:
http://mikewasthere.zoomphoto.ca/vie...27-11274142/5/
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:27 AM   #4
Super Moderator

LOL, does he expect to sell photos where you can't even see what you are buying.

As there are bikes involved, if you get to shoot from the side then you can use a slower shutter speed to get some motion blur, not much point if shooting head on though. Best thing is to find full shade or full sun, or backlit mottled light will be OK as it won't mess up the faces. Forget flash if at all possible.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote