Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:33 AM   #1

Default 420ex with Digital Rebel

Hi, I purchased a 420ex off Ebay to use with my Digital Rebel. I have no instructions for it's use though. Can someone tell me how best to setup the flash? I can not seem to get the flash to meter correctly.

Hmartin
hmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:51 AM   #2

Default Re: 420ex with Digital Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartin
Hi, I purchased a 420ex off Ebay to use with my Digital Rebel. I have no instructions for it's use though. Can someone tell me how best to setup the flash? I can not seem to get the flash to meter correctly.

Hmartin
Read your instruction manual for external flash in you DRebel manual so that you understand the flash results from the various metering modes.

Can you be more specific in the problem that you're having? What shooting mode are you using? What specific problems are you experiencing?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:17 AM   #3

The Rebel manual, only covers how to connect, not how to configure the flash. If you own the 420ex, you know it has a ttl , manual, auto, zoom buttons.

I can get it to flash but it washs out everything, or does not go off at all depending on which button I press. So what I am trying to learn is what combination of button settings with make it meter properly and not overexpose all of my photos

Hmartin
hmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:59 AM   #4

Apparently, you have a competely different 420EX than I have. The only switches/buttons that I have are on/off, hi synch/normal synch (put in normal generally), group and channel (doesn't matter ... this is for slave options), and slave/off (put in off).

You ARE talking about the Canon speedlite 420EX, right?

You could contact Canon and purchase a manual. They might even have a pdf file on their website available.

What mode do you place your camera in when you take pictures? Av, P, Tv, M, or one of the basic modes?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:42 PM   #5

Sound like the flash you have is a 420EZ, not the EX. The 420EX does not allow you to manually zoom the flash head- the only current flash with that option is the 550EX. You can only turn the 420EX on and off, turn on the high flash sync option and adjust channels for wireless operation with the 550EX. I'm not sure the 420EZ is compatible with the Digital Rebel if that's the one you have.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote