Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Minolta Z1, and Maxxum Flashes

To all who choose to purchase a Minolta Z1, it will only work with the newest Minolta Flashes. I am thrilled with the camear. I love it. It takes great pictures. I did hope that my older Promaster 5600 (which did work with my Minolta SLR 400si) would also work on the Z1. It does not. I even checked with Minolta and ProMaster technical suport: No way. So, I will purchase the cheapest of the compatible flashes (the 2500 D) for about 130.00 online. Better than red-eyes indoors. I love the ease of digital cameras, but they are only worth it with an external flash. (I am not looking to get into a debate with those who are proud of their dig-cams that do not have hot-shoes. I am just looking at reality. -- Again, I love my Z1.
sonomablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:21 AM   #2

Default Z1 flash

I'm curious; is there any technical reason why the Z1 shouldn't be able to work with older flashes, or is this just Minolta trying to squeeze some more money out of people? It doesn't actually bother me all that much since I don't already have a flash (I have a maxxum 400si and am probably going to get a Z1 soon) and to the best of my knowledge the 2500 or 3600 will work with both. Even so, it's kind of lame on Minolta's part to make it only work with new (read: expensive) flash units.
bob877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:19 AM   #3

Quote:
or is this just Minolta trying to squeeze some more money out of people?
absolutely
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:54 PM   #4

So absolutely no other flash besides the three Minolta ones specified in the manual work with the Z1? Has anyone tried other brands of flashes to confirm this?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:46 AM   #5

This has been the case for a long time and there are many threads on these forums about it, basically you need a "D" affix series flash gun.

There are other cheaper alternatives to the Minolta guns, Sigma & Metz both make compatible units, the Sigma EF500 DG and DG Super are both excellent guns, I have the Super version which cost about $180 from B&H (much cheaper than here in the UK!) and the 500DG is about $135.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:21 PM   #6

Thanks phaedra. I had seen other threads mentioning non-Minolta flashes could be used with the Z1, but some other threads such as this one and different reviews have said only Minolta flashes could be used, so I wanted to settle the discrepancy.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:03 AM   #7

I've read the differences in specs between the 500DG and the 500DG Super, but I got a bit befuddled. Could anyone translate differences into plain English? TIA
Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:12 AM   #8

I think the main difference is that SUPER can be triggered remotly (reaction to other flashlight). So you can put 2 or 3 of them in your "studio" and take great photos with the light from all sides.
Rayfire is offline   Reply With Quote