Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:24 AM   #1

Location: Currently Kobe, Japan (originally from Burlington, Ontario)
Default Limited by my lens, I am in need of a flash...

I bought my Nikon D5000 about a year ago (body + AF-S NIKKOR DX VR 18-200MM 1:3.5-5.6 lens) right before I came to Japan (where I am currently living for another year).

Because my only lens is noticeably longer than the standard lens kit, it produces shadows in my shots where I need a flash... which is annoying to say the least. LUCKILY I haven't needed to use flash too often (usually take it when exploring) but sometimes it is a real pain when I can't take the shots I would like to.

So now I am looking for a decent flash to relieve me of this shadowy burden.
I was checking out the forums and the common response was the SB-600 (I think), but I would often stumble onto other more complicated names that people were raving about...

Because I plan on doing at least 6 months of traveling after I leave Japan next August, I need something I could easily pop on and off my camera, that isn't too big or bulky (so that I can travel with it), isn't too expensive, and won't be too difficult or complicated to learn how to use.

Suggestions? Comments? Help!
sawalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:38 AM   #2

well you can look at the nissin di622 it is a good flash and is also a very good value. The SB600 is a excellent flash like most nikon flashes. But the nissin is very good also. Metz would be another good one, but will be pricey in Japan, as it is made in germany.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:47 AM   #3

I can say the nissin di622 is great flash easy to use and good value
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:20 AM   #4

so which would be the better choice among the SB600 and the Di622?

I saw the SB600 quoted ~$250
and the Di622 quoted ~$170

Other than obvious price difference, does the SB600 have a feature/quality that makes it worth being more expensive?
I am an amateur but I do believe in quality first (If I can afford it, hahah)
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:35 AM   #5

That Nikon name on the SB-600 increases the price. I also use a Nissin 622 right along side a SB-600 and there is no difference in quality or workmanship in my opinion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:52 PM   #6

Why not go with the SB-400? VERY small, light and inexpensive and it will bounce so you can get rid of those shadows. To me it seems like the perfect inexpensive travel flash for your D5000. You might even be able to find one refurbished if you're really strapped (although those seem to go fast).

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I would stick with the very widely tried and tested SB-600, it is proven to cope with use in the professional world, constantly gives great results. Also you have the digital display allowing you to see what is happening which you don't have with the 622. For me I would pay the extra for quality and longevity.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:00 AM   #8

Well I ended up in Yodobashi Camera in Osaka the other day (before I read these latest posts) and found the Di622 Mark II on sale... saved more than $100 by choosing it over the SB600...

Haven't had much chance to play with it yet though, but it I am guessing it will serve my purposes well... I just need to reorganize my camera bag now, haha.

All I need now is to become proficient in using it!

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Why not go with the SB-400?

brad
Would this work with an Oly E420?

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950

Last edited by Thunderchild; Nov 2, 2010 at 7:16 AM.
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:31 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Would this work with an Oly E420?
No... It's a proprietary flash designed to work with Nikon dSLR models.

Each manufacturer uses a different way of communicating with their flash systems.

So, you'd need a flash that's specifically designed to work with Olympus dSLR models, unless you wanted to use a Generic Auto Thyristor type flash (Sunpak 383 Super, Vivitar 285 HV, etc.), or a flash with a non TTL Auto mode, which would require you to use manual exposure and set the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and Aperture (versus the camera and flash communicating settings information via a protocol that's unique to each camera brand).

Then (with a generic flash versus one designed for your camera), you'd lose some features like High Speed Sync (a.k.a., FP Mode) which gives you the ability to use the flash at shutter speeds faster than your camera's x-sync speed.

Although there are exceptions, in most cases, it's a good idea to stick with your camera manufacturer's supported flashes to reduce any compatibility issues you may have down the road, as sometimes, third party manufacturers miss something when reverse engineering the camera to flash communication protocol, and that can cause issues if the camera manufacturer starts using features designed into it's flash models with newer cameras or firmware updates (as those new features may have been missed by third party flash manufacturers when originally analyzing the flash protocol).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote