Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Aftermarket wireless flash triggers

Any luck with aftermarket wireless flash triggers? My biggest concern is that the camera and flash communicate the flash strength / exposure needs effectively.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Default triggers

I have been using twinlink and happy with ir.
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:01 PM   #3

Most aftermarket flash triggers do not send that information. They are used to trigger only and all set up is manual.
What camera and flash are you using?
Canon STE2 sends the info and Pocket Wizards just introduced one of the first aftermarket versions that supports ETTL. The Flex TT1 and TT5. I use triggers extensively but always use a sekonic meter and set the flash manually whether it be 580 EXII's or strobes. Practice at this gets you much more comfortable with manual set up and then you are able to produce the lighting you want instead of the lighting the cameras metering wants.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:31 PM   #4

I've always had good luck with these from http://www.gadgetinfinity.com
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:34 PM   #5

I use Cactus V4s. It's all manual mode like my old film SLR days.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:50 PM   #6

Another Cactus V4 user.

Considered the Radiopopper Jr Studio which has the advantage of adjusting remote flash strength on the camera trigger, where all others have to run around and individually adjust at the flash.

The Cactus was a cheap entry, but has served me well. One thing I like about the Cactus is the design of the receiver units. They can be used as a base to set flashes around on tables if not screwing into a stand.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:59 PM   #7

Default Triggers

I have twinlink and works fine out to 250 feet.
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Sorry I haven't noticed your replies until now! I looked at the Cactus V4 and it looks rather amazing for the price.

I have a Canon 430 EXII, and was dreading the purchase of the 580 EXII given the $440 price tag. The advantage was wireless control of the 430 EXII along with a monstrously powerful flash. The TTL II advantage doesn't seem as important to me right now - having used the 430 for bounce flashes I find the TTL controls lacking, forcing me to experiment by manually setting the strength until it looks right on the screen.

Anyway, the Cactus V4 would allow me to fire the 430 as well as the Yongnou 560 for $80(560)+$40(Cactus V4 combo)+$25(additional remote trigger)= $145. I'll start a separate thread calling for opinions on the Yongnou flashes.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:57 PM   #9

Also, Cactus just released the V5 but not on their web site yet. Not backwards compatable as on a higher radio frequency and reportedly a better design, particurally the battery compartment. Some participants on the Strobist/Flickr group have had them for review - early company distribution - and generally positive remarks.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:29 AM   #10

The Photixx Strato 4 in 1 has been getting really great reviews lately from some blogs and some pro photographers over at FredMiranda. It does have TTL pass-through (to the flash that is directly mounted to the transmitter that attaches to the camera) but it won't send TTL info to the remote flashes. I have considered some Cactus stuff too but I've heard too many bad reviews and stories of unreliability to the point that I can't make myself pull the trigger on them. I think I'm going to wait until next month when I can afford the Photixx.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote