Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Default New flash for Fuji S7000

I recently bought a Fujifilm S7000 camera to begin my photography adventure. Anyway, I am currently in need of an external flash unit that's better than the Sunpak SP140 which came with the camera when I bought it.

Anyway, I've looked on eBay for some cheap flash units (only starting off so I don't need the best for now), so I ran across a flash unit from Bower. The model is SFD328. I've read some pretty positive reviews on it across the net, except for a few build quality issues with the battery compartment, but I'm not complaining for its $68 AUD price.

Anyway, the specifications are as follows...

Brand: BOWER
Guide # ( 50mm @ ISO 100 ) :92
Auto : ISO 100 f/ stop 2.8 in " S " Position
Auto Distance Range : Approx. 3.3 - 38 ( ISO 100 - " S " Position )
Mode Selector Switch : ( 3 Positions ) - N, S1 & S2
Zoom Range ( 4 Positions ): W1 28mm - W2 35mm - S 50mm - T 85mm
Slave : Yes
Bounce Angle : 0 - 90
Swivel Angle : 0- 330
Angle Of Coverage : Horizontal 60 , Vertical 45
Ready Light : Yes
Flash Duration : (sec.) 1/1,000 - 1/20,000
Color Temperature : 5600 k
Power Source : 4AA Batteries Or NiCad Equivalent Or NiMH
Recycling Time : 6 sec. ( With Alkaline Batteries ), NiCad / NiMH 4 sec. Approx.
X-Synch Voltage : Or = 6V
Dimensions : L 2.75 x H 5.25 x W 1.9
Weight (w/o batteries) : 7.4 oz.

To me, 3/4 of this is just pure jargon since i'm very new to photography. The only bit I understand is the X-synch voltage for the hot shoe contacts, which is 6V and that's it.

I then contacted Fujifilm Australia to obtain some info about the flash requirements for my S7000 and this is what they sent me via email...

Please note our guidelines for the S series Consumer range of cameras is
as follows:
1) As long as the flash unit you purchase has manual adjustable settings
that can change with the camera modes
2) Flash needs to be capable of metering by itself.
3) Have a Syncro terminal with 400 volts or less.
4) Centre Pin Contact
5) Guide number of at least 24

So what I want to know is... will the Bower brand flash unit work with my Fuji S7000 properly? Especially the guide number bit... that part I'm unsure of.

Thanks.
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Probably should contact Bower and ask them, since it is their product and they would know if it would be compatible with your camera.
Did you send the information above, the flash information, to your camera company?

Oh, and I would call them and ask for a techie...

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Nov 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added text
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Yes, the Bower will work properly. The stated guide number is the maximum in the manual setting, at the stated conditions. In automatic mode, it adjusts the flash intensity based on reflected light, so once you set the camera and flash settings, the exposure will be adjusted by the flash output.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:16 AM   #4

Awesome. I've just ordered it today, so I'll see how it turns out once it arrives. I have another question though... I might be upgrading to a Canon Eos 1000D (Rebel XS) dSLR soon since I want to take my photography to the next level this christmas time, will this Bower unit still be compatible with the Canon even though it doesn't support TTL?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:04 AM   #5

You will still be able to use it, though the camera won't know it's there, and you will have to use manual exposure on the camera. (AFAIK) You will eventually want to get a dedicated flash for the Canon, though, and maybe use the Bower as a slave.

brian
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:41 AM   #6

so from what i understand, the Canon EOS won't detect the bower unit.

if so, how will it trigger? or will i have to use auto mode on the bower where i have to use the inbuilt canon pre-flash to activate it?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:22 AM   #7

The center pin will fire the flash when you press the shutter button, whether the camera knows the flash is there or not. The auto exposure feature on the flash will give you correct exposure, as long as you have the aperture set the same on the flash and camera, and the shutter speed is at or below the flash sync speed. (probably around 1/150s - the camera manual will tell you)
I don't know enough about the Bower to advise on how to use it in conjunction with the on-board flash.

brian
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:58 AM   #8

The Bower unit came today and I will say that I am very impressed with its quality. I especially like the bounce flash and its "naturalness" that it emits. At first when I got it, I thought it was faulty because I inserted the batteries the wrong way LOL.
Once that was fixed, everything worked A-OK.

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9

oh kill joy. it's been ~ a week and my friends somehow knocked the flash off the camera when they used it and cracked/broke the hot shoe base on the bower unit. Not to worry I used some high strength plastics glue to glue the broken bits back together and everything seems okay again. Though I will have to get a hot shoe adaptor extension accessory so that I relieve the insertion and removal stress from the base of the broken hot shoe.