Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:53 PM   #1

Default wireless flash not firing

I have a Pentax k-x and a Pentax AF360 FGZ external flash. I've been trying to set them both up for wireless triggering, and nothing has worked.

I followed the instructions here along with a YouTube tutorial that pretty much says the same thing.

I place my flash on my camera hotshoe, while my camera is off. I set the flash to wireless mode, acting as SLAVE, on channel 3. I turn on my camera, hold down the trigger button half-way to register the flash, I set my camera to wireless mode, it says CHANNEL 3, so the camera is indeed registering the wireless flash. I leave my external flash on, and take it off the hotshoe (it is set to P-TTL). I pop open my built-in flash on the Pentax, place the external flash in front of my camera, and take a picture, only my built-in flash fires.

(Oh and in my Pentax options, the camera is set to trigger as CONTROLLER not MASTER, as it says to do in the tutorial. But it doesn't work as MASTER either)

Can anyone please guide me?
aimemethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:27 PM   #2

Sounds as if you have the flash set correctly. What are your camera settings? Your camera has to be set to wireless flash, and, if your shutter speed is above the flash sync speed, has to be set for HSS also.
If all that is OK, the problem may be the flash not getting enough reflected light from the pop-up flash. Try turning it towards you, or putting a reflective object ahead of the flash, to check.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Its set to wireless flash, on the same channel, and my shutter speed is 1/50, wich is pretty slow, so I think the flash would sync anyways.

Damn
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4

try posting the question in the Pentax/Samsung DSLR forum - there are quite a few people around who have more experience with the Pentax flashes than I do, and should be able to help you out.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:03 AM   #5

Default wireless flash for Pentax kx and 360fzg

There is a problem with the firmware in the Pentax Kx.
I solved the problem with this method.
Set the wireless channel to 1 in the Kx and channel 3 in the 360.
This setup worked for me.
cfkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:54 PM   #6

i had this problem when using a k20d and 360fzg
although id had it working before, one day i tried using it off camera and it had stopped , everything else worked ok
i contacted pentax and it turned out the flash was faulty, sent it back under warranty and when it came back it worked fine
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:50 PM   #7

Take the cap off your lens, have the wireless mode in control. and have the flash set to wireless. Pop the flash up. Put your hand about 6 inchs form the flash. Are you getting 2 flash pulses or on huge pulse. If you are getting 2 pulses. That is correct. The first is the pttl data, the second is the fire command. It might be the flash.

Also look at the capture photos, if they look under exposure. The flash is sending only flash info in controller mode. So it is sending the data and the flash command.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkoh View Post
There is a problem with the firmware in the Pentax Kx.
I solved the problem with this method.
Set the wireless channel to 1 in the Kx and channel 3 in the 360.
This setup worked for me.
Wow, it's been a while. But I finally managed to do it, just now, because of this one trick.

Thanks a lot!