Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:00 PM   #21
csd

zombz - To answer you last question - I believe you would be manual - yes. You need either the sync cable (SC-29) mentioned above or the SU-800 mentioned above. If you are looking at wireless and think you might add a second flash someday - I would spring for the SU-800 if you can swing it. If you have a bit more you could spend and think you might someday buy a camera that has its own "commander" mode (like the D7000) then if you could swing the SB-800 or SB-900 today as a commander and flash - you could also use these off camera later.

As an amateur hobbyist - I personally like the simplicity and iTTL capabilities of Nikon's systems - versus adding in third party products - but unfortunately - they do cost. The on-camera commander capability has always been including in Nikon's midrange DSLRs (D70, D80, D90 and now D7000) but not in the higher end FX DSLRs (they probably figure if you are buying these - you are buying more expensive flash gear anyway I suppose) nor the lower end. The commander mode of the D80 is something I use a lot and cherish. To babble on a bit more if you are interested - essentially what happens when you press the shutter in this mode with Nikon iTTL enalbed - is the commander triggers the remote flash to "pre-flash" with some flash pulses - the camera measures the light through the lens - makes adjustments - then signals the flash wirelessly on what final power to use and off goes the final flash. And this all happens in a split second when you hit the shutter. Amazing technology in my opinion...
With manual mode in the flash (not using Nikon iTTL) - you would shoot the picture and have to make manual power adjustments to get your exposure (which a lot of folks prefer anyway).

Another alternative to the SB-600 (your original question) is to look at Nissin flashes - I have heard they are great and a cheaper alternative to Nikon flashes. Some models can also act as commanders if you want a second flash and have already purchased the SB-600.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:34 PM   #22

Going to pick up the sb600 this week getting an early christmas present from my grandma lol
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:19 PM   #23

The SB700 are coming out sometime soon and looks to be the best of the lot with price for features being weighed in. I have the SU800 commander and it can be used with any Nikon dSLR. The Nissin Di866 can do just about most for less compared to the SB900. Does everything for CLS except AA mode and high speed sync wirelessly. For most it is a moot point. It is iTTL and also a slave with a front flash as well. It can be used as a commander as well.
It is a choice that may fill in what you need. It does not do all that the SB 800, SB 900 and/or SB 700 but what it does it does very well. The SB 400 is great in its recycle time and can fire off three shots consistently in a row. It does not high speed sync though. For its size it does very well and should not be compared to the others mentioned as far a power goes. The others do not recycle as quickly and to me that makes the SB400 a must have for certain situations.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Dec 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:19 AM   #24

Well the sb400 doesn't tilt and stuff like that right
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:18 PM   #25

And the sb700 I see still wont fire wireless of my d3000 with out a trigger right and I only have $250 to play with
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:59 PM   #26
csd

the sb700 is generally a less powerful than the sb600 (Nikon appears to have sacrificed power for features in the new design) although has a bunch of additional features (many of which won't work with your camera anyway) - I wouldn't consider the sb700 if I were you - it is $100 more than the SB600 and quite frankly doesn't do much more. sb600 is a great flash.

Last edited by csd; Dec 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:37 PM   #27

thanks im picking up a sb600 this week if i can get out to go buy one if the snow lets up alittle lol
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:23 AM   #28
csd

Good luck and be sure to get some pictures of the snow!
Out of curiosity - which wireless trigger did you go with?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:28 AM   #29

Well I havnt recived it yet but I ordered the cowboystudio one of amazon the npt04 I think it is and ill try to get snow pics as soon as it calms down alittle im in upstate NY and we got like a foot already and alot more comming in the next couple days
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:00 PM   #30

Picked. Up the flash today can't wait to learn flash now