Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
the sb700 is generally a less powerful than the sb600 (Nikon appears to have sacrificed power for features in the new design)
Hi csd, I'm about to get the sd-700 and found this post, can you elaborate this a bit?

sb-600 sb-700
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:26 AM   #32
csd

Hi LGWGM,
What I meant by that comment is that if you compare the GN numbers between the SB-600 and the SB-700 - the SB-600 has generally higher GN numbers (in some cases they are similar/same - all depends upon zoom).
I wouldn't let this be the key influence for the decision - it is only slightly less - probably not enough to significantly influence the results you would get. Oftentimes, the flash is putting out full power anyway.
If you are trying to decide between the two:
SB-600 pro's: slightly more powerful SB-700 - a bit more compact - and $100 less. A great, reliable, basic flash.
SB-700 pro's: can be used as a Master to control remote flashes (if you think you will ever use this and if your camera isn't one that acts as a master). Has a better menu system and better/easier controls (easy dial to switch from remote to master to dedicated flash - on SB-600 you have to hit two keys together - then a third - to switch between dedicated and remote - you get used to it quickly though - but SB-700 is far easier). SB-700 also has features such as 3 dispersion patterns and FX/DX detection (only works for newer cameras).
To further confuse your decision - a lot of folks talk highly of Nissan flashes - and they have great compatibility with Nikon cameras.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Hi LGWGM,
What I meant by that comment is that if you compare the GN numbers between the SB-600 and the SB-700 - the SB-600 has generally higher GN numbers (in some cases they are similar/same - all depends upon zoom).
I wouldn't let this be the key influence for the decision - it is only slightly less - probably not enough to significantly influence the results you would get. Oftentimes, the flash is putting out full power anyway.
If you are trying to decide between the two:
SB-600 pro's: slightly more powerful SB-700 - a bit more compact - and $100 less. A great, reliable, basic flash.
SB-700 pro's: can be used as a Master to control remote flashes (if you think you will ever use this and if your camera isn't one that acts as a master). Has a better menu system and better/easier controls (easy dial to switch from remote to master to dedicated flash - on SB-600 you have to hit two keys together - then a third - to switch between dedicated and remote - you get used to it quickly though - but SB-700 is far easier). SB-700 also has features such as 3 dispersion patterns and FX/DX detection (only works for newer cameras).
Hi csd, thanks a bunch for the very informative reply. Glad I pulled the trigger on sb-700 after reading the above statement...

Quote:
To further confuse your decision - a lot of folks talk highly of Nissan flashes - and they have great compatibility with Nikon cameras.
but I'm now a bit

Any suggestion which Nissan flash comparable to sb-700? (sb-700 still on transit)

Thanks again for making me more confused. eheh

Last edited by LGWGM; Dec 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM.
LGWGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:11 PM   #34
csd

I shouldn't have said anything - didn't mean to further confuse your decision. The Nissan Di622 would be similar in power to SB-600/SB-700 - but I wouldn't regret your decision if you already ordered the SB-700. A lot of folks like the Nissan's because they are lower cost - personally - I like the build of the Nikon's better - they just feel more solid.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:57 PM   #35

I bought the sb600 and I love it so far couldn't afford the sb700 so got what I got and and very happy with the product
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:36 PM   #36

@csd, no worries I'm glad you brought it up and answered all my wonders (truly appreciated)

btw, I'm still looking for a good camera bag that can hold the D7000+18-105 and a spare lens 70-200mm, any suggestion?

Thanks to both csd and zombz
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:39 PM   #37
csd

"btw, I'm still looking for a good camera bag that can hold the D7000+18-105 and a spare lens 70-200mm, any suggestion?"
You mean you are looking for a bag that can hold all that PLUS an SB-700 flash
There are LOTS of choices. First question is - do you want a small bag, backpack, sling, ? Where are you carrying your equipment and for how long.
I have always used Lowepro bags. I currently use a Lowpro Fastpack 200 mainly. I like it because I can take it on short hikes but it isn't too big to carry into restaurants and such either when traveling. It also has a "quick-access" side pocket so I can pull the camera out quickly, a nice size top pocket for snacks and such, and a side net-pocket for a water bottle. It holds my D80 with one lens attached plus 3 additional smaller lenses if I really cram them in (18-135mm, 70-200mm, 60mm micro, 10-24mm.) plus an SB-600 flash - it is a bit tight with all this and some filters and other accessories but works well (I sometimes add SB-900 flashes in the extra main compartment - or drop a lens or two out of the bag if I'm going on longer walks and don't want the extra weight). If you think you will be buying another lens in 6 months - you may want to look at extra space for it so you don't have a series of smaller bags like I do. If you are going on longer hikes you might want something with a waist strap as well for extra support.
The other bag I have I sometimes use is a Rezo 170-AW by Lowepro. It is a perfect size for your D7000 with one lens attached, along with an additional lens and flash. I carry my D80 (same size D7000) with 2 lenses and flash in this bag. Not sure if they still carry it or not - it was several years ago that I bought it. This would be a good "Just want to carry my camera, lenses and flash" bag - basic shoulder bag.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:04 PM   #38

I just got the nikon dslr/laptop backpack off of amazon and so far it looks like a great bag for $60 it holds my laptop d3000 my 18-55mm,55-200mm along with my sb600 pretty well
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:57 PM   #39

Default Flash

Works fine as a slave from your on camera flash
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote