Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Default nikon sb600

i was just wondering what people thoughts were on this flash and if it will work wirelessly with my d3000 and how id go about doing that
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Very nice flash with tilt, swivel, support for High Speed Sync and more.

AS for wireless, the D3000 does not support wireless triggering of an external speedlight using the built in flash. But, you can buy the SU-800 Commander (least expensive way to do that) if that's a feature you want (less cost compared to using a high end SB-800 flash to act as a controller for an external SB-600).

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...Commander.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:22 PM   #3

now ive seen like tranmiters and recivers and stuff for wireless flash would they work to do wireless with my setup if i got a sb600
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4
Administrator

That gets far more complex (using third party wireless solutions), as most of them do not support Nikon's iTTL flash protocol, and are only designed to trigger an external flash set to use manual power settings (versus commnicating settings information with a flash to insure proper exposure automatically), which means you'd lose features like High Speed Sync with most of those types of solutions, too.

If you want a third party solution with the ability to communicate settings information with proper use of metering preflashes, etc., I'd look at Pocket Wizard products for starters:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/

If you want to use manual power settings, there are cheap alternatives (but, in that case, there would be no use in spending money on a more expensive SB-600, since you wouldn't be using the flash features with a cheap solution that requires you to set everything manually anyway).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:39 PM   #5

ok now ive seen sync cords would that alow it to be off camera and still use ttl im try to find a good flash that i can use off camera and how long do they make cords
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:04 PM   #6
Administrator

I don't know the answer to that question (cord length). Hopefully, some of our Nikon experts will chime in. But, for an on camera flash that can also be used via the SU-800 commander, the SB-600 would be hard to beat. I've used one with multiple Nikon dSLR models and it's a very good flash (if I were a Nikon user, I'd be inclined to buy that flash versus using less expensive third party alternatives if budget permitted).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:07 PM   #7

yea i was look at a third party but it was fulll manual and looked cheap but i came across a pretty go deal on the nikon
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:18 PM   #8

The Nikon SC-29 TTL flash extension cable provides a full feature connection from an SB-600 SB-800 or SB-900 and the hot shoe on your camera. The curly cord stretches about 5-6 feet but the flash would have to be secured to prevent it bring pulled over by the cord. It is surprisingly expensive for a few wires and hot shoes however.

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoL...for-sb800.aspx
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:32 PM   #9

is the sb600 worth getting for a first flash
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:13 PM   #10

i was looking at these ik id prob have to use full manual with the sb600 but it would make it wireless right http://www.topsellings.com/en/wirele...n&currency=USD