Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Good add on flash for Canon G12 + Pentax DSLR

I just got a Canon G12. I also have two Pentax DSLR's...one a K10D , the other a KM/K2000.

I have a Pentax 360 flash unit, which I finally figured out and it works quite well with the Pentax bodies.

But I would like to get an add on flash for my Canon G12 and although I originally thought about getting a Canon 270....now I'm thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to get a flash that I could use with my Pentax DSLR's and Canon G series .

In other words....get neither a Pentax or a Canon flash...but some after market brand that I could use on both makes.

I like plenty of power, I like reliable, durable, good quality.

What flash would work well with both Pentax and Canon systems ?

Anything else I should think about..flash wise ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:04 PM   #2

Les-

I do not believe that there is a single flash unit (other than a Slave Flash) that can be used by BOTH the Pentax K10, Km, and Canon G-12 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:21 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah. I was hoping that it would be like the old film days where I used my Vivitar 285 HV on my Leica RF, my Mamiya medium format and my Pentax slr's.

I was hoping that there would be a universal flash that I could use on the G12...then later on use on one of the Pentax bodies.

Les
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:38 PM   #4

If you are willing to give up the functions which allow your flash and camera to work together in auto exposure modes, then you can use most any flash. Check the sticky post regarding trigger voltage limits, as the wrong flash can damage your cameras.

I use my old Vivitar 285 with my istD both on hotshoe and a flash bracket. It also gets used with my Minolta D7hi, on a bracket and triggers via PC cord.
I have a dedicated flash for my Pentax, but when I want to use dual flash, the Vivitar comes in really handy.
I think Minolta/Sony are the only ones that can't use a standard ISO flash on their hotshoe.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
If you are willing to give up the functions which allow your flash and camera to work together in auto exposure modes, then you can use most any flash. Check the sticky post regarding trigger voltage limits, as the wrong flash can damage your cameras.

I use my old Vivitar 285 with my istD both on hotshoe and a flash bracket. It also gets used with my Minolta D7hi, on a bracket and triggers via PC cord.
I have a dedicated flash for my Pentax, but when I want to use dual flash, the Vivitar comes in really handy.
I think Minolta/Sony are the only ones that can't use a standard ISO flash on their hotshoe.
brian
I'm looking at either a Canon 270 or a 430....leaning towards the 270 because of it's smaller size and portability. I do miss using my Vivitar 285 HV...simple and lot's of punch.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
...I like plenty of power, I like reliable, durable, good quality.

What flash would work well with both Pentax and Canon systems ?

Anything else I should think about..flash wise ?
Metz 54 MZ-4:
http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

The problem is the flash with a standard non-dedicated foot will cost you about US$350 and each dedicated SCA 3002 module/foot will set you back another US$85:
http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=54MZ4

just get a 270ex for your G12, it's a great little flash and balances well on G11/12 cameras.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote