Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:52 PM   #1

Default Nissin Di866 Master Flash control

I want to use the Nissin Di866 as a master flash to control other flashes, but without the 866 flashing as well. It is possible according to the manual, but it isn't working for me.

Any ideas?
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2
NHL

I don't see how...

-> The Master flash controls the Slaves by modulating its flash output (i.e. high-speed series of On/Off of pulses which look just line one flash). In actuality it's a series of On then Off commands for each group of Slave, so in reality the Master flash pulses are actually 3 pairs series of On/Off for each group A, B, and C of flashes(which looks just like 1 flash to you)

You can insure that the Master flash do not contribute to the overall lighting by setting it's output to -3EV in TTL (or 1/128 in M mode) when the Di866 is programmed as the Commander, but the Master will have to fire in order to control the other wireless Slaves. This is the same principle whether its a Nikon, Canon, or Sony for that matter: http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

If you don't want the Master to fire at all then get an Su-800 commander (or an ST-E2 in case of the Canon) which control the Slaves via IR (still light but invisible to human eye) instead, but this device costs as much as another flash!

Last edited by NHL; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:17 AM   #3
NHL

BTW I couldn't find this link any more which explained very well, but I kept a copy of the graph: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:01 PM   #4

I think I have it figured out now. The 866 flashes to communicate with the remote flash, but it doesn't flash during the exposure.

Thanks for the info you provided - it helped me decode what the manual was talking about.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote