Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1

Default Nikon bower flash question

I'm looking for a flash unit for my Nikon D3000. I just need something budget that flashes to create better lighting than the onboard flash... bounce flash is all I'm looking for to be honest. I used a Bower SFD328 on my Fujifilm S7000 and I was very happy with it, though there was no TTL and it would over expose the image if I didn't do it properly.
Anyway, this time I'm still on a budget, so I saw the Bower SFD728N in one store for only $90! (run out model apparently).
It has i-TTL for Nikon cameras, which is what I need right...? Just need an opinion if this is a decent flash to buy...?
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:09 PM   #2

At $90 is over-priced. Amazon. B&H and others have it at $59.

Customer remarks are all over the place. A few that stood out...GN of 92 is way overstated and the availability of light limited. It is iTTL only with no manual override. You get what you pay for.

At the $90 price range, would strongly look at the Yongnuo YN-467 .
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:26 PM   #3

$90 Australian is the cheapest I can find. On Amazon, that is $59USD, which is around the $65AU mark, then getting it shipped here, add at least another $30 for shipping... if they even ship here that is.

Well this bower unit is one on my list, the other is the SB400 by Nikon. Also, what is manual over ride mode? do any of these units I specified have it?

I just need something simple and better than the onboard crap I have now.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:08 AM   #4

Still on my list... SB-400 or Bower SFD728N?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:05 AM   #5

I would go with something that has a rotating head, not just ceiling bounce. You can often get very nice light by bouncing the flash off the wall behind you or beside you instead of the ceiling. Sometimes there won't be a ceiling that is suitably low or light colored for bouncing.

That would rule out the SB-400 so if those are your only 2 choices then I guess the Bower. I would also recommend the Yongnuo though. I have a couple of YN-560's (manual flash) that I use for off-camera flash and I like them a lot.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote