Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Sigma EF-500DG Super flash for my Nikon

I want to buy a flash unit for my Nikon D3000 DSLR... I'm still an ameteur at photography, but I am however using a Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S lens I purchased last month... which also takes great quality depth of field photos. However, I was at a function the other day doing some shoots and I borrowed a Nikon SB-600 for the night, the results in the end were flawless and I had beautiful pictures of the event... however as my pocket doesn't stretch so far (got a mortgage and car to pay for), I want to opt for an aftermarket flash that's well... cheaper and has similar results (or close to it anyway).
So I came across a Sigma EF-500DG super flash which my friend is selling for half the price of an SB-600. It does the same functions, has i-TTL as well as manual modes.
But on the other hand, I could get a Nissin Di-622 flash for about the same price, but that one doesn't have an LCD display.

Now, would the Sigma flash be a good choice for an ameteur like myself? Usually doing indoor shots at parties and reception functions these days, as well as outdoor car photography.

Thanks.
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2

I had that same flash in canon mount. Worked fine for a couple years but then I started to encounter 2 problems:
1) inconsistent results - started getting erratic flash exposures even with new batteries.
2) tolerance on the tilt became quite loose so it changed angle too easily.

I switched to canon flash and have been using it for several years and it's still perfect. That to me is the catch - how well does a product work in the long haul. When getting advice for the less expensive flashes ask the person if said unit has been used for 3 or 4 years. Lots of less expensive products work well for a while but fail much quicker than more expensive products. Just my opinion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3

Well I bought the Sigma flash, but I won't be seeing my friend until next week to pick it up. I'll see how it goes.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:15 PM   #4

I also have another question, should I get a soft diffuser for the flash as well? I used an SB-600 the other day that had one of these and the flash in pics looked really toned and beautiful.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:53 PM   #5

a modifier is always a handy add on. It softens the light, I am particular to the gold or yellow ones, as a nice warming effect with indoor photography. But I have white and gold and switch back and forth.