Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that the Nissin Di622 Mark II does *not* support High Speed Sync from what I've found reading two different reviews of it.
Unless he's planning on upgrading his camera then it's a nonfactor because the D5000 won't do HSS.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Administrator

Wow. I didn't realize that (D5000 doesn't support HSS).

After a few searches, I see some complaints about that feature being missing. I knew Nikon removed the focus motors in models like the D5000. But, I didn't know they also removed HSS, even if you're using a Nikon flash model with that feature.

Thanks for pointing that out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:15 PM   #13

No prob. I wish I'd gotten the D90 for more reasons than 1!

brad
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:18 PM   #14

That's where a reflector comes in handy over having to worry about HSS. Just my opinion and what I do with a camera that doesn't go up to 1/500 sec like the D70, D70s and D40.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:41 PM   #15

I would take something that works as a slave over HSS myself. The SB600 not working as a slave was something I could never understand why Nikon did that. There is no commander mode in the D5000. Only if you have a SU800. That's another story. Consider a reflector as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:14 AM   #16
Administrator

Well... in controlled conditions, a reflector would be fine. But, in a fast moving environment, that's not always practical.

For example, if you're taking photos at an event (outdoor parties, weddings, etc.), and want to use a flash for fill, you'd need to stick with 1/200 second or slower shutter speeds if using a flash without HSS (which means you may need to stop down your aperture more than desired for some photos in order to keep shutter speeds slow enough in brighter conditions).

Frankly, I'm surprised that Nikon left that feature out of the entry level bodies. I've seen a number of comparisons between cameras, and I don't recall anyone pointing out the lack of HSS support. You do see mentions of where you can't use the built in flash for a commander. But, I didn't realize Nikon left out HSS on these bodies until that was pointed out in this thread.

Now... from what I'm gathering from some of the D3100 and D5100 previews, Nikon added some features into the new models (including the ability to use the built in flash as a commander). Hopefully, the previews mentioning that are correct, and HSS using a compatible flash is there now, too (at least for a hotshoe mounted flash).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:22 AM   #17

The D5100 does not have commander mode or HSS according to the specs:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...Tabs.TechSpecs

It's just how they do it. They have levels of cameras. 3100 and 5100 are entry level. If you want commander and HSS you have to go to the next level (D90 or D7000). Kinda stinks but the 3100 and 5100 are still a lot of camera.

brad
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:34 AM   #18
Administrator

I skimmed through more than one preview yesterday that said the new models would allow built in flash to act as a commander (although they didn't mention if HSS was supported or not). Here's one hands on preview that mentions it on the page about new features (you'll see it mentioned near the bottom of the page):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Nikon-...-Camera_review

Ken Rockwell's preview also mentions it (see the Flash section):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

So, I guess we'll have to wait until more users get their hands on them to see which sites are right, and which ones are wrong. ;-)

I'm seeing the same thing in some of the D3100 previews (that Nikon now allows the built in flash to be used as a commander).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:25 AM   #19

Hmm... I wonder where they are getting that info since Nikon's spec sheet doesn't indicate commander mode like it does for all of their other cameras that offer that.

brad
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:56 AM   #20
Administrator

They may be wrong (or based their findings on pre-release firmware and Nikon removed the feature later).

The opposite may also be the case and Nikon decided to add that feature at the last minute in the production firmware due to competition (for example, all Sony and Olympus dSLR models allow the built in flash to be used as a commander to control a compatible external flash model).

We'll have to wait and see what others find when testing a production camera.