Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Flash for D5000

I'm thinking of getting a flash for my D5000 and wanted some advice. I've had the camera since November '10. I'm trying to decide between the sb-400 and sb-600(while they're still around in abundance). I don't know if the sb-600 is more than I need. Most of the photgraphy I do is motorsports, nature and landscapes. I think I just need an upgrade over the on camera flash. I also need a flash that won't cast a shadow when using my Sigma 10-20. Cosidering that I don't do a whole lot of indoor portraits, is the sb-600 worth the extra cost? I've read that a lot of cool things can be done with the 600, but can it be controled remotely with the D5000 without the su-800? Thanks for any insight.
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:34 AM   #2

They both serve their intended purpose. For the type of shooting you have mentioned the SB 400 won't come close to making much difference. Get the SB 600 if you don't need a commander mode which the D5000 does not have. If you want a flash that will also work as a slave off of your onboard flash from your camera and does all that the SB 600 does I would look into the Nissin Di622 Mark II.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:35 AM   #3

The Nissin Di622, MarkII gets my vote as the most cost efficient flash for the D5000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:34 PM   #4

How does the Nissin compare to the Nikon performance wise.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:35 AM   #5

That last question may be moot. After looking around I've found that the prices of sb-600's are so inflated I may not want to get one afterall. New examples are hard to find for less than $260 from reputable retailers. Used sb-600's are selling for $200 or better on ebay. Best Buy had them listed as "unavailable online" last night and not at all today. I'm not sure if I want to pay the increased price just on principle. However, I may have to accept the fact and get one now before the prices go up even more. A victim of the law of supply and demand I guess.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdaman1 View Post
That last question may be moot. After looking around I've found that the prices of sb-600's are so inflated I may not want to get one afterall. New examples are hard to find for less than $260 from reputable retailers. Used sb-600's are selling for $200 or better on ebay. Best Buy had them listed as "unavailable online" last night and not at all today. I'm not sure if I want to pay the increased price just on principle. However, I may have to accept the fact and get one now before the prices go up even more. A victim of the law of supply and demand I guess.
In this case you choose to be a victim. Based on the information available on the net the Nissin I recommended and also by Sarah Joyce who is a flash expert on this forum isn't enough to have you to even look at it. Instead, you want something that is less than what was recommended for an inflated price. I have the Nissin Di866 four of them and they do the job extremely well and can do all the functions of the Nikon CLS system. NHL who is another flash expert (fetishist of sorts) also endorses the Nissin. He saw a post I put up a while ago and went for it and has not been disappointed.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7

vIZnquest, I haven't chosen to do anything just yet. Please don't be offended by the last post. I simply want to weigh all of my options before making a purchase...be the sb-600 for the inflated price or the Nissin recommended or maybe even something else. I was simply stating what I had found on the sb-600. Thanks for all of your input.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:12 PM   #8

Not offended at all. Just coming across as to why such the need for something that is overinflated and passe. It is a good flash but I got mine when they were only $180 new. I still use them but very limited in that it cannot be used as a slave. Only will function like one in CLS.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Administrator

Note that the Nissin Di622 Mark II does *not* support High Speed Sync from what I've found reading two different reviews of it.

So, you'll need to use it at your camera's x-sync speed or slower to prevent dark photos (or bands in photos) from shutter curtain travel to make sure the flash is contributing to the exposure properly. With your D5000, that means staying at 1/200 second or slower.

Indoors, that's probably not going to be an issue. But, if you wanted to use a flash for fill in brighter outdoor lighting at wider apertures (to help your subject stand out from distracting backgrounds), then I'd take that feature into consideration and look for a flash supporting High Speed Sync (HSS), which is also known as FP Mode (Focal Plane Shutter Mode). The SB-600 supports HSS.

Flashes with FP Mode will automatically "pulse" the light over a longer duration when you're using shutter speeds faster than the camera's x-sync speed so that the flash contributes to the exposure properly.

Here's a page in one Di 622 Mark II review that shows the type of dark image/bands you can get if you try to use one at faster shutter speeds (since the flash won't be contributing, you'll only get exposure from ambient light most of the time the shutter curtains are traveling). See the section on High Speed Sync:

http://speedlights.net/2011/02/18/ni...xposure-nikon/

Here's more info on how a Focal Plane Shutter works:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lane/index.htm

Here's a page explaining how a flash that has High Speed Sync works (a feature that appears to be missing on the Nissin Di 622 Mark II, as I've just read through 2 different reviews that both indicated it doesn't have that feature):

http://www.photozone.de/hi-speed-flash-sync
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:38 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, Jim. If I'm going to spend a couple hundred dollars on a flash I'd like to make as informed a decision as possible. I'd also like a flash that is as versatile as possible. You've given me more to consider.