Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 3, 2011, 8:59 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Not the same thing. The metering preflash used by modern digital cameras has nothing to do with a redeye reduction preflash or focus assist flashes.
JimC is correct disabling the redeye reduction is not the same thing as turn-off the preflash

-> You can still makes this work though if the Fuji HS20 has a Flash-Exposure-Lock button (usually the Auto-Exposure-Lock but work in flash mode). When you do an FEL you force the camera pre-flash to fire once for the metering, wait for the slave to recharge (or shield this pre-flash from the slave so it won't fire) and then squeeze the shutter which trigger the flash a 2nd time with the real 2nd flash exposure... i.e. You still end up with two firings, but this 2nd firing is on demand and will work with most dSLRs as it now coincides with the camera's shutter

Last edited by NHL; May 4, 2011 at 5:06 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 11:41 PM   #12

Well, I have my HS20 and have done some flash testing with my Pentax flash.

Flash settings:

First, it fires on all flash attachment flash settings. But that doesn't mean it works properly on all flash settings.
It overexposes on TLL by 3 or 4 stops.
It works fine on Auto.
It works fine on wireless set on Slave 2

Camera settings:

Set camera for "external flash"
The camera has to be set on M, A, S, or P for other than "slave" to fire.
By "works fine" I mean I can adjust for a good exposure.
I don't yet have the formula's worked out to equate the flash setting with the camera settings. It is still trial and error.
It doesn't work properly on EXR or Auto. The advance flash you mentioned triggers the slave prematurely by about 1/4 second. But that doesn't appear to be a problem on the M, A, S, or P settings.

Bottom line: For full auto external flash operation, I will need to wait for the availability of the dedicated Fuji flash.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 5:26 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
...It doesn't work properly on EXR or Auto. The advance flash you mentioned triggers the slave prematurely by about 1/4 second. But that doesn't appear to be a problem on the M, A, S, or P settings.
If the built in flash is using a metering preflash (and most digital cameras will), then the external flash is probably not contributing anything to the exposure (since it's firing on the prefash, before the shutter is open).

With most cameras, this is a very subtle flash (usually around 1/10 second before the main flash, and can be hard to recognize as an extra flash burst at all). If you block the external flash with something (making sure you're not going to cause it to overheat), you should be able to tell (exposure should be the same with or without it's output blocked if it's firing with the metering preflash).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 11:24 AM   #14

I could tell that the slave flash was functioning properly because I was holding it out in one hand firing it at an angle that produced a shadow on the bookcase I was targeting that wan't created when only the main flash fired.

It appears there is not any, or not the same kind of, preflash on the A, S, M, and P settings as on the others and that's why the external slave flash appears to be working properly on those settings.

Last edited by gfmucci; May 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote