Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Flash suggestions for Nikon D100

I have a Nikon D100 camera body and need a flash. The camera supports TTL but not iTTL so, while an SB 800 or SB900 might be an excellent flash, the camera can't take advantage of a lot of the stuff the flash has to offer.

I've been looking for an SB 80dx but wonder if there might be a better use of my $175 than a 10-year-old flash. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for a third-party flash?
richard2456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:19 PM   #2

Okay ... so, let me rephrase my problem.

I need a flash for my >still quite serviceable< Nikon D100. The flashes made for the camera apprear to be the Nikon SB 28dx and the SB 80dx. These flashes are very versatile, very powerful and will get the most out of the camera, but they are 8-10 years old. And even at that age, still bring $150-$225 on eBay. Of course, since I'm shooting a D100, a lot of my gear is that old.

I've looked at some new 3rd-party flashes, like the Sunpak PZ42 or the Metz 50 AF. Neither are as powerful as the Speedlights but they are perfectly adequate and are around $150 brand new. Further, from what I've been able to find, either would probably work just fine with the TTL and D-TTL functions of the D100.

So, which way to go? Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

Anyone?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2456 View Post
Okay ... so, let me rephrase my problem.

I need a flash for my >still quite serviceable< Nikon D100. The flashes made for the camera apprear to be the Nikon SB 28dx and the SB 80dx. These flashes are very versatile, very powerful and will get the most out of the camera, but they are 8-10 years old. And even at that age, still bring $150-$225 on eBay. Of course, since I'm shooting a D100, a lot of my gear is that old.

I've looked at some new 3rd-party flashes, like the Sunpak PZ42 or the Metz 50 AF. Neither are as powerful as the Speedlights but they are perfectly adequate and are around $150 brand new. Further, from what I've been able to find, either would probably work just fine with the TTL and D-TTL functions of the D100.

So, which way to go? Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

Anyone?
Hi Richard,

I treated myself to a Metz 48 AF1 a couple of xmas back, mine is a dedicated Pentax model, and they do cater for other marks, as you are aware.

I've been entirely satisfied with it, it does TTL, and also has a very wide range of adjustment when used manually. Build quality is excellent.

It's now superceeded by the Metz 50 AF-1, so worth you having a look, I'm sure it would fufill all your needs, I suspect probably more cheaply too.

The only downside I found was the user manual not to easy to understand initially (you need hands on and some experimental time), it probably suffers

from translation from the original German text.

Take a looksee, I don't think you'll be disappointed ... Jack.

http://www.metz.de/en/

Edit:- Another plus for the Metz models is that the firmware is updateable via a USB port.

Last edited by jachol; Jun 14, 2011 at 7:14 AM. Reason: Add info
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:33 AM   #4

Why not go with the SB800 or SB900 so when you do upgrade the D100 to a current body you'll have a compatible flash?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:24 AM   #5

Thanks Jack! B&H thinks highly of Metz flash units as an alternative to the Speedlight, so do others I've talked to.

Bob, that's a good point and I'm actually bidding on an SB800 on eBay right now ... but my budget is $300 and most of them seem to go for more than that so we'll see. That's why I wanted to know what folks think about the third-party stuff out there.