Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:20 AM   #1

Default Are there any third-party TTL flashes compatible with the Fuji HS20?

Does anyone know if there's a dedicated third-party TTL flash (Metz, Sunpak, etc.) that will work with a Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR? I have a Sunpak auto383 Super that does a fantastic job, but it's strictly manual. I've heard that some Nikon and made-for-Nikon flashes will work in TTL mode with the HS20 - is this true? Fuji flashes are pretty expensive up here and I'm hoping to find a more reasonably priced alternative. Thanks in advance.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:58 AM   #2
Administrator

AFAIK, that's not true (that Nikon flashes will work in TTL mode with your camera). If you find out otherwise, please let us know.

Some of the Fuji dSLR models can use Nikon dedicated flash models, mostly because Fuji was using Nikon manufactured bodies that could use Nikon F Mount lenses, with Fuji sensors for their dSLR lineup.

But, AFAIK, the only dedicated flash models that work with your camera are the Fujifilm EF-20 and EF-42. The EF-42 looks like it would be a nice flash for most conditions:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...unt_Flash.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, that's more or less what I suspected regarding Nikon flashes. What I'm really looking for is a compatible third-party TTL flash, my question about Nikon was wishful thinking I guess. Occaisionally one can find Nikon flashes on sale at fire-sale prices.

There aren't many retailers around here that carry Fuji accessories - none, actually - and I'd really like to try the flash on the camera before I buy, so it looks like a third-party flash is my only choice if I can find one.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.

Last edited by toshi43; Sep 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:31 PM   #4

G'day toshi

I believe that Yongnuo flashes are compatible with most e-TTL systems
I have some "460's" that I use as slave guns activated by the on-camera flash ... i'll give 'em a try tonight & let you know later

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:14 PM   #5

Thanks, Ozzie. Since YongNuo is an unknown quantity for me, I'm hesitant to buy something sight-unseen that may or may not work in TTL mode with my HS20 and might even damage it.

There certainly aren't any retailers in this area that carry them, in fact anyone that I've asked so far hasn't even heard of them. I was thinking more in terms of brands like Metz or Sunpak, but I haven't had any luck finding a compatible model so far.

As for the two Fuji flashes, the EF 20 looks like a waste of money to me. With a guide number of 20 and it's low mounting profile it seems barely better than the HS20's pop-up flash. The EF 42 looks like a great flash, but it retails for $330 in Canada! My budget's only about $100, so that's O-U-T!

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to stick with my trusty old Sunpak Auto383 for now. Not that that's in any way a bad thing - it's a pretty outstanding flash, although TTL sure would be nice.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:38 PM   #6

G'day Toshi

Looking at images of the HS20, the flash hot shoe only has a single terminal, not the 3 or 4 terminals that the hi-powered nikons or canons have ~ thus it seems to me that the camera is operating at a "basic" of flash ttl operations ... your instruction book will tell you more

The Yongnuo 460 flashguns that I have are as well designed & made as the Sunpak or Metz flashguns - and cost me something like $50each delivered to my door
[look em up on "http://www.dinodirect.com/se-yongnuo" ]
ps- if you want to be a bit adventurous at the above site, search on "camera flash" and see the thousands of bits they offer

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Sep 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:53 PM   #7

Thanks Phil. I wonder if you were thinking of the HS10? As you can see, the HS20's hotshoe has 3 terminals in addition to the main one. The camera is fully TTL-capable as long as the right flash is attached.

If I could find a YongNuo flash to try on my HS20, I'd definitely consider it. First though, I'd have to be convinced it was 100% safe and compatible with my camera.

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Last edited by toshi43; Sep 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something.....
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:07 PM   #8

G'day Toshi

Good to hear from you again
my observation re- the HS20 flash ttl was based on a dpreview photo of the flash shoe [in its review of the camera ... look it up if you like]. I am pleased that you posted a better image

Have a sqwiz here
" http://www.dinodirect.com/flash-unit...rency-USD.html "
for the seller's review of the model 465 flashgun, rated for canon & nikon use. It is a long & involved spread w- lots of images & tech notes

I would also email them and ask for some response too [I do it regularly and get a response quite quickly. I have even rec'd phone calls from them to discuss my queries]
I'd guess that "if the contacts match yours, then it would work okay"
I am doing some 'cross-dressing' at the moment too using the sunpak-540-for-pentax onto the G2 and it works better on the G2 than on the Kx

Lastly - you are right to double-check everything as you are doing ... they old latin "caveat-emptor" certainly is alive & well in our busy world
Regards, Phil
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:58 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
...the model 465 flashgun, rated for canon & nikon use.
But, not on both camera types with the same flash. ;-)

If you want to use it on a Nikon camera, you need to buy the Nikon version of it. If you want to use it on a Canon camera, you need to buy the Canon version of it.

The communications protocol between a camera and dedicated flash is proprietary to a specific camera manufacturer, and each manufacturer does it differently (signaling to instruct the flash to use it's AF assist lamp, fire a metering preflash, fire the main flash for the correct length when instructed to, etc.).

Dedicated flash models like that are not interchangeable between camera brands. The Canon version of it is designed to work only with Canon's E-TTL compatible dSLR models. The Nikon version of it is designed to work only with Nikon's i-TTL compatible dSLR models. See the footnote at the bottom of this page:

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=239

Quote:
Note: YN-465 for Nikon can only be used with Nikon i-TTL cameras (not compatible with D100 D50 D2Hs D2X D70 D2H)

YN-465 for Canon can only be used with Canon E-TTL cameras (not compatible to Canon A-TTL, and not compatible to Canon 5D, 5DII,1D, 1DS, 1DSI, 1DSII,1DSIII)
If either of them worked properly with any other camera brand, I'd be very surprised. Unlike a non-dedicated flash model like the Sunpak 383 Super mentioned (where no extra communication except for shorting the center pin to the outside shield is needed and the only thing you're doing is triggering it), a camera manufacturer uses proprietary signaling to control a dedicated flash like that Youngnuo 465.

In most cases, if you try to use a dedicated flash on a camera model it's not designed to work with using TTL modes, it's either not going to fire at all, or fire at full power (because it won't understand the signaling commands being sent to it via the extra pins in the hotshoe, as those are going to be unique to each camera manufacturer).

So, you'd need to use manual power settings on the flash to control flash exposure (provided the flash even has manual settings, as many dedicated flashes don't), eliminating any benefit over a non dedicated flash model like the Sunpak the OP already has.

Also, because the Sunpak 383 Super can measure reflected light during the exposure and terminate the flash output when it sees enough reflected light for the aperture and ISO speed you set (you set both the camera and flash to match), it would have an advantage over a flash model like that Yongnuo 465, since the Yongnuo doesn't have that ability (it would require you to change manual power settings when your distance to subject changed, since it doesn't have a sensor that can measure reflected light during the exposure, and can only rely on 7 manual power levels available that you'd need to set via trial and error when anything changes trying to use it in manual power mode).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:03 AM   #10

Thanks Jim for your assistance & explanations

Regards, Phil