Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:53 PM   #1

Default SB 700 accessories

Thinking of investing in a sb 700 for my nikon d90. I like to shoot portraits. I noticed some kits with add on diffusers, soft box and bounce cones? Would any of these add on's be a good idea? Or can someone suggest an add on to this flash.

Thanks for your help
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:54 PM   #2
NHL

This thing fold flat (in its included wallet):
http://www.lumiquest.com/store/produ...ax-System.html

(You can only use it if you carry it on you...)
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3

I use a Cowboy Studio softbox with my SB-600 (it would work fine with the 700 or any other speedlight). I've been very happy with it but generally you have to get it very close to the subject to get the standard softbox look. It comes with a shoe mount for the flash and it's very inexpensive. I got mine from amazon. The smallest I would go on a softbox for a speedlight is the Lumiquest LTP size (10x14). The smaller the softbox the closer you must get it to the subject. I always choose my 16x16 softbox before the LtP, which is basically for traveling since it fits nicely in my laptop pocket. The little 4 or 5 inch softboxes are worthless for anything but macro as far as I'm concerned. For bouncing I just go off a ceiling or wall. I suppose the promax suggested above could be useful but I'd be more inclined to just handhold a bare flash out to the side with a TTL cord.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; Sep 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Thanks! I just picked up the flash. I passed on the accessories for now. I would eventually love to fire it off camera. I only just threw it on my camera and started playing w/ ceiling bounce. Is it pretty Auto user friendly? Not sure about manually adjusting anything and forget about cords for now. lol I feel like it's opening a can of worms. lol I've only ever used natural light since I got my camera 7 months ago. Looking forward to the growth.

Any tips for speed light photography?

Thanks a bunch

Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:21 AM   #5

Yeah, it's pretty auto user friendly using one of the TTL modes.

Here's one little tip for ceiling bounce. You'll often get more pleaseing light if you hold your hand in front of the bottom lip of the flash that is facing the subject. This cuts out almost all direct light that leaks towards the subject from a slanted or totally inverted subject and leaves almost all reflected and ambient light on the subject. Probably 8 times out of 10 this will make for a better looking picture by cutting out all of the direct, on-axis light coming straight from the flash.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote