Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:46 AM   #1

Default Leaving flash on

I got myself a Nikon SB-400 recently for my Nikon dSLR. But I use the flash ALL the time since I do alot of indoor photography with my d50. I find it very annoying and cumbersome to take the flash on and off the body every time I use it when I know I need it on there anyway.
I use a crumpler camera bag which has enough room for the camera and the flash still mounted on it without exerting extra pressure on the flash itself.
Now what I want to know is... would it be okay to leave the flash on there all the time or will I end up with a broken hot shoe by the end of the week?
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
I got myself a Nikon SB-400 recently for my Nikon dSLR. But I use the flash ALL the time since I do alot of indoor photography with my d50. I find it very annoying and cumbersome to take the flash on and off the body every time I use it when I know I need it on there anyway.
I use a crumpler camera bag which has enough room for the camera and the flash still mounted on it without exerting extra pressure on the flash itself.
Now what I want to know is... would it be okay to leave the flash on there all the time or will I end up with a broken hot shoe by the end of the week?
It seems you already understand the risks involved. The flash hotshoe is
a small area compared to the size. length and weight of the camera and
flash combination. There is a real risk that you could end up with a broken
flash, mount or camera. I wouldn't be prepared to take the extra risk.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3

I used to do this with my Minolta SRT-201 and Vivitar 285, but the mating pieces were metal, and strong enough to take a bit of abuse. Most newer flashes I have seen are plastic at the base and don't seem robust enough. I wouldn't consider the minor time savings to be worth the risk of being entirely without the flash.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I used to do this with my Minolta SRT-201 and Vivitar 285, but the mating pieces were metal, and strong enough to take a bit of abuse. Most newer flashes I have seen are plastic at the base and don't seem robust enough. I wouldn't consider the minor time savings to be worth the risk of being entirely without the flash.

brian
The SB-400 actually has a metal mating shoe, not like the plastic one on my Sigma. But to be safe I am leaving the flash off when in transport. Better be safe than sorry :P
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote