Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Kodak DC4800 external flash

Looking for a moderate external flash that is compatible with the DC4800. Any recommendations? Thanks
crombie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:19 PM   #2

Well I'll be jiggered, the DC4800 has a PC connection. Way to go Kodak. Minolta could learn a lesson there.

Your options are pretty wide. I'd avoid anything with a high sync voltage like the old Vivitar 283 but the sky is the limit otherwise. Heck, your little camera would even work with a studio flash system like Alien Bees. You'll need to get a bracket to mount any type of flash on and will need something with a PC connection or a PC cord to hot shoe adapter. You'll probably want to work in manual mode on the camera with the aperture at f5.6 for most work or f2.8 if you need some more range, provided of course the flash has thyristor auto settings for those apertures. It might take some experimentation but you might try bouncing your add on flash off the ceiling while using the built in flash as a fill/catchlight. Get everything dialed in and you'll see a dramatic improvement in your flash photos.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:45 PM   #3

Default Suggestions

The tricky part will be finding a flash that supports the manual apertures you have available. A flash with auto apertures of 2.0, 4.0won't do you any good. Getting something that has 5.6, 2.8 and maybe 8.0 will be the ticket.

The SR Digislave flashes would work without a PC cord but you'll play at least $100 for an unneeded feature.

A little Sunpak 1600 might fill the bill as it has auto settings for f5.6 and f2.8 That's not terribly powerful so you won't have a lot of range, especially if you bounce.

This Achiever flash covers f5.6 and 2.8 and has a better guide number (more power)

You'll still need to get a bracket mount of some kind and a shoe to PC adapter if the flash doesn't have a PC connection itself. You can probably get something like that for $20-25 or so.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 3:29 PM   #4

Default Kodak and Metz

just for fun , some time ago , I posted
This pic in the old forum

( it's a photo setup with 2 separate pics )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 4:22 PM   #5

Hehe, I forgot about that pic. :P Crombie5, it might be a tad bit overkill but That metz flash would work with your Kodak and the results would be terrific. I got a similar one used for $200 and it's been one of the best photographic investments I've made.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6

Padeye,
" overkill" ? , you mean this one , yes:

http://www.pbase.com/image/2282464

Seriously , the cam setting (F2.8, F5.6 and F8) fit perfectly the Metz in auto mode .
A used CT-1 could certainly found under 100 box, with full manual, and auto F2.8/4/5.6/8/11 ( 100ASA)
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:39 PM   #7

Default Warning

Forgot to warn you:
45CT-1 have 125 V triggering voltage , 45CT-4 : 12 Volt, CL series : I don't know.
So, some sort of insulating device is necessary ( Wein or equivalent, but I don't know these devices , so can't recommend it surely)

PS: correction: 45CT-1 have 225 V triggering voltage ( not 125)

[Edited on 8-20-2002 by KCan]
Old Aug 19, 2002, 8:31 PM   #8

Sunpak 544, Nikon SB22s, Nikon SB24. I use all three with Olympus C3000. I've used the Sunpak and the SB24 with an umbrella, and used combinations of any two using a Wein slave. You are lucky--you don't need to buy an expensive adapter cord, BUT--if you go Nikon, you will need the Nikon PC cord for their flashes. Personally, I think the Sunpak 544 handlemount is the way to go overall.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all the good input, from this I did further reseach and ordered the Sunpak 544. I got one from B & H Photo Video for $129 (new) plus shipping. Took 200 + pictuces at a wedding, some experimenting included, okay a lot of experimenting. I was pleased with the overall pictures. Sure was nice being able to take a group picture of 25 people and have good even coverage. Thanks again, crombie5.
crombie5 is offline   Reply With Quote