Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
The ST-E2 alone costs more than the 500DG Super!
NHL, your statements convinced me to go for the Sigma aoto the ST-E2. This is good, since I'll know exactly where to direct my complaints if I'm not pleased. :roll: I've been like that other guy, spending too much quickly, but I do need to focus a bit on lighting. I have the 420 and I will slave it to the Sigma and hope for "better" which is almost a given. I'll buy one more later in order to create a 3 light forum...how does that sound?
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:39 AM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
....I've been like that other guy, spending too much quickly, but I do need to focus a bit on lighting. I have the 420 and I will slave it to the Sigma and hope for "better" which is almost a given. I'll buy one more later in order to create a 3 light forum...how does that sound?
Sounds good. Many folks are also very happy with their Dimage D7's/A1 version... Same problem with the Minolta HS5600(D) flash which cost twice as much as the Sigma's!

What you'll find is when bouncing (wall/umbrella, etc) the higher GN of the Sigma actually helps and you'll be consigning the 420EX to more direct lighting! I've found it out from my Minolta days with their HS3400(D) which is their equivalent to the 420EX...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
What you'll find is when bouncing (wall/umbrella, etc) the higher GN of the Sigma actually helps and you'll be consigning the 420EX to more direct lighting! I've found it out from my Minolta days with their HS3400(D) which is their equivalent to the 420EX...
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here and I think that it's probably important for me to fully understand. Let's take a basketball game, for instance. Let's say that I wish to set up at one corner and want to shoot near the basket. Could you paint a technical picture of how you would approach this scenario if you had the 420 and Sigma only. It sounds like you would bounce using an umbrella or flash attachment, but which flash and please be as visual as possible because my brain gets bruised when I need to technically rather than visually. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:16 AM   #14
NHL

Norm

What I try to say is since the guide number of the 420EX is already less... bouncing it would reduce its output even more, unlike the Sigma or the more powerful 550EX which still have some oomph to spare from the diffused light!
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:45 AM   #15

Wow, that was brief. Oh well, I'll work it out, thanks
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:56 AM   #16

What about future compatability with whatever Canon d-slr I get next? I've heard it's not an issue with the 550EX, but some feel it may be with the 500DG Super? I've currently got the 420EX but may sell it for a 500 Super as I wouldn't mind the higher guide number (distant swimmers at meets). gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:34 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuthill
What about future compatability with whatever Canon d-slr I get next? I've heard it's not an issue with the 550EX, but some feel it may be with the 500DG Super? I've currently got the 420EX but may sell it for a 500 Super as I wouldn't mind the higher guide number (distant swimmers at meets). gary
Well if you're with Canon for a long time like I'm then you certainly remember that 1st their E and then their EZ (or EG) flashes are not really upward compatible with their EX series!

Also the new E-TTL II is really about distance encoding with the lenses like on similar systems from Minolta/Nikon, and not part of any improvement in the flash head. It seems to me like the older Canon lenses are more of an issue here: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-f...ex.html#ettlii

Beside the EF-500DG Super provides full manual control, and an indepedent photoeye so you can always use this unit on manual or even with studio strobes. It looks to me like you are more stuck with the 420EX! http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=006KAs
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:15 AM   #18

Update: thedecision being made, I ordered myself the 500 DG Super. I have had it for oh, about 5 hours now, and all i have to say is, WOW... I am glad I got it.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:03 PM   #19

Gandalf...

I just received mine today and agree fully with your opinion. I have a few photos of a bball hoop that demonstrate how far ahead I am now with the Sigma flash:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21980

Unless this thing falls apart before my eyes within the next little while, I'll be a happy camper with the purchase.

Recommended!
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:39 PM   #20

Hello this is my first post and glad to have found this forum!

I have and EOS 300D Canon and note that in their recommended accessories Canon suggest Speedlite 220EX, 420EX or 550EX external flash units.
I still have a Speedlite 380EX and right now not in a financial position to look at other units. Canon said that this was not suitable but gave no other explanations.
I was under the impression all EX units were compatible.
Can anyone give me further advice on this?
Thanks from one in the "Land Down Under"
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote