Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Ring Flash Help

Just purchased an Olympus four thirds 35mm macro lens and adaptor for my E-PL2 Olympus. I want to get a ring flash for this and am wondering if anyone has any experiences with inexpensive ring flashes. I am looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YONGNUO-MR-5...item4ab78566a1

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2012, 3:51 AM   #2

sorry cant see the link
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 7:49 AM   #3

Ah, the listing was removed. Sorry. Anyway they are basically LEDs that you turn on/off and they attach right on to the lens. There are various manufacturers and I've saw them anywhere from 45.00 to 85.00. They are not synched with the shutter.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4

i tried one of those led ring flashes, they are not very good,
in the end i bought a Marumi DRF14 ring flash for 128 from jessops
its a proper ring flash and does sync with camera, im very happy with the results
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5

Nice looking unit but I don't believe any place in the states sell these and I don't believe it's compatible with the Olympus micro 4/3 cameras. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:22 PM   #6

Don't have any direct experience with these, but it looks as if you can use it as continuous light or as a flash. Being a universal type flash, you would have to set up your aperture manually, based on the guide# (12), and keep your shutter speed below sync speed. IOW, a very manual setup. The flash mode would be more economical of batteries, as 2 AA cells probably won't run it continuously for very long.
I would be willing to give one of these a try if I did much in the way of macro.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 3:56 AM   #7

I have looked at this and I am not sure if its compatible with olympus as i can only see nikon canon and pentax mentioed. maybe a good idea to check
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8

You have to careful when shopping. I just learned that a ring light listed as a ring light stays on all the time until you shut it off. I wouldn't want that because it eats batteries. Then there is the ring light/flash where you can use either mode, and finally, a ring flash only. Still pondering over whether I should just get an outboard flash unit with tilt, etc. It would serve two purposes. Don't know, still mixed up thoughts. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:51 AM   #9

If you want it specifically for macro, the ring light/ ring flash is probably going to give you the most even lighting, and at macro distances, the low guide # is more an advantage than a powerful flash.
I took a look at your link, and followed up on the seller's page to find a universal unit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-LED-...item1e6cb825c3
Of course, there would be no TTL capability, but at least part of the tun of photography, for me, is working it out on my own, and the more manual, the better. Others seem to look at it differently, of course.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10

Thanks for the link and your input.