Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:35 PM   #1
jq

Default C-750 and External Flashes?

Does anyone know whether earlier Olympus flases such as an F-280 from my OM 4-T will work on the C-750 digital? Some, or all of the functions? Same question for Nikon SB-24 or Vivitar Auto 2500? Taking off on vacation with new digital and not sure if I can use any of these flashes without having to calculate guide numbers, realizing that the TTL features on the 24 probably would not work?
Don't want to damage the camera but might need more than the popup flash. Thanks for any info. I am really dense when it comes to flash operation even after reading manuals several times!
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:35 AM   #2
x10

I'm in the same boat. I don't currently have a flash for my camera but would like to get one. Olympus website only recomends thier FL-20 and FL-40 (I think). Kinda of expensive Flashes. I am looking around for a non Olympus Eq.
x10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:40 PM   #3

Here's a bump, and I'm adding a new related topic.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4

If it's any use to you I'm successfully using an ancient Nissin 360TW flash with my C750. Camera in manual mode, flash in auto and it works delightfully in bounce mode. I usually set the flash to F4, and the camera to 1/125s (not critical) and f5 which I find works better than F4. Seems to get the exposure right everywhere indoors, any distance. It almost keeps up with multiple shots as well, it's fine for the 2 quick flashes but only gets the first 3 of the higher quantity modes. On single flashes it recycles quicker than the camera is ready for another shot. Flash trigger voltage is 10.5v and colours are remarkably true in daylight WB.

The only reason I might look for a modern equivalent would be if newer ones were lighter/smaller for the same power. Guide no is 36 (measured in metres) and there's an extra small fill in flash at the front that's switchable. The main head rotates all ways.

I don't think this camera can be overly fussy about what generic auto flash is used if it works so well with a 23 year old flash.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5
x10

If it helps I broke down and bought an Olympus FL-40 flash off of Ebay.
Just playing around with it so far and it really does do the job. Its the first "Good" flash I have ever owned. It really has some power. I was testing in the basement because it has the most contrast in light.

I was able to take very good picturs back in a closit with out glare off of stuff. very even consistantly throughout the frame.

Plus I took a picture of my door lock which with the built in flash ends up to be a dark frame with a burst of light coming through the window but with the FL40 it was strong enough to push the incoming sunlight back and get a picture of the door lock.

I will continue to play and see what happens. If nothing else Iknow I will not lose money because it seems the FL 40 flash is in High demand on ebay at least
x10 is offline   Reply With Quote