Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Canon external flash - 430EX II or 320EX

I am looking to buy an external flash, mainly to use for indoor photography of my children. Can anyone make a recommendation between the 430EX II or the 320EX? I have not used an external flash before so am new to the features and not sure what will suit my needs.
lcmnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:03 PM   #2

What camera are you using it with.

The 430ex II has way more power then the 320ex. But it is a bigger flash. Also the switch selector of the 320ex is allot simpler to use then the 430ex II's button menu system. With canon the guild number for their flash is the first 2 number of the model number the larger the number the more power it has, more power is better for bouncing off walls instead of direct flashing the subject. So the 430 ex ii guild number is 43 the 320ex is 32. And 32 is not ideal when bouncing you flash off a wall. But the front led is good for light video uses.

Are you fixed on canon flash, there are other options that are just as good.

for a flash comparable to the 430 exII you can look at the metz 50 AF1 or the nissin di622. The metz's guild number is 50 and the nissin is 44.

for the 320ex the metz 44 is in the same price range.

metz run about the same as the canon flash, the nissin a bit less. But for canon dslr, canon, metz or nissin are good flash options.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:10 PM   #3

I have a Canon T1I.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:11 PM   #4

Would you mind explaining what the switch selector is? I am totally new to external flashes!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:46 PM   #5

The back of the flash has the flash controls. The 320ex has a super simple set up for canon but it was design to be control through the camera.. The 430ex II is allot more complicated when you are setting up the flash. Since you can not set the flash up with through the T1i. I would avoid the 320ex if you want need to use the flash in manual mode. You will not be able to adjust power from the flash easily.

I have a T1i, and the metz work will with it. But the nissin is simpler to setup for manual mode.

the 320ex
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

the 430exII
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

metz 50
http://speedlights.net/metz-50-af-1-speedlite-flash/

metz 44 AF-1
http://photo-tips-online.com/news/20...-expectations/

nissin di622
http://speedlights.net/2010/12/22/ni...622-ii-review/
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:45 PM   #6

So as far as using the flash in manual mode...am I understanding correctly that you can set it on auto where it will go off with each photo taken or you can do manual where you control the level of flash output? Sorry I am so new to this...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:32 AM   #7

now on manual mode, you can control the flash power output. It is for more advance shooting. Most of the time you will be in E-TTL which will be control through the T1i. And you EV the flash power up or down. But there are times where manual setting has an advantage. And that is where all the other flash are easier to set up.

Also with a guild number of 32, the flash is really not that powerful. And if you bounce your flash off a ceiling or wall to avoid read eye. It may not put enough light on your subject. You really need a gn of 40 to bounce without worries.