Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:05 AM   #1

Default External mounted flash

Me again

Ok so having purchased my first lens, my next purchase will be an external flash as i'm guessing i will need it if i am to prevent shadows being cast by the lens.

I haven't a clue what i'm after, i have an Oly E-450.

Now i did a search on ebay and only UK ones that came up and listed compatibility was the YN-460, however i did a quick search on the forum here and saw that its manual only, as i'm a novice i'm thinking that may be a little difficult for me to begin with??

So back to square one, is there a nice flash for a beginner like me, to fit my cam and isn't pricey as i have limited funds left over now!
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:20 AM   #2

get a flash that is ttl, it is easier to used. Some thing like metz 44 AF-1 or an olympus fl36r or fl600r. Not to many options for olympus dslr out there. But the micro4/3 flashes will work with the olympus dslr with ttl as well.

For not to expensive, the nissin di466 is not to bad and actually pretty nice.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:44 PM   #3

G'day Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
... my next purchase will be an external flash as i'm guessing i will need it if i am to prevent shadows being cast by the lens....
What do you mean by 'shadows cast by the lens'??

More info on what you are trying to do will help

ps- I have the YN460 and enjoy it
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:09 PM   #4

I think the built in flash is getting block by the longer lens and casting a shadow on the photos. Getting a higher flash will help relieve that issue if that is the case.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I think the built in flash is getting block by the longer lens and casting a show on the photos. Getting a higher flash will help relieve that issue if that is the case.
Yes that is what i meant

I already have trouble when shooting in macro, i cannot use the flash because of having to hold the camera so close to the object and the lens obstructs the flash.

The main thing i have in my mind is i like to go to Crufts every year and photograph the dogs, however the lighting is terrible in the NEC, particularly around the discover dogs unless holders bring their own lighting which isn't common, my camera won't focus and many of my pics are blurred and the cam picks up the artificial lighting so they are very yellow too, but i cannot use my standard flash either because it is not powerful enough to capture dogs several feet away :/

Not entirely sure what to do about that, but figured i could do with a flash anyway for other reasons too. But as i say searches keep bringing up the manual sets and i don't feel confident enough yet for anything fancy.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:57 PM   #6

G'day Sarah

External flash guns come in various sizes, shapes and costs with the camera-makers offering very good equipment and a similar price

You mentioned earlier the YN460 [which I use] - -if- you are a canon user, have you looked at the Yongnuo made, SP680 which sells for about $200US or 100pounds??

If you go for the YN460, it's quite easy to use
~ it has half-a-dozen LEDs across the back face and you just press the button below them to set more or less LEDs into use

As for your macro stuff, there are lots of diffuser baffles for flashguns - they slip onto the flash head and are either velcro or elastic tightened

One of many samples ...

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:35 AM   #7

I'm not a canon user myself no, i know my way round an oly so have stuck with them from the word go, currently checking out the nissin, makes sense to start off with a cheaper one, then if i find i'm not liking the whole external flash thing, i haven't lost too much
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:59 AM   #8

look at the nissin di466 for olympus. You will have TTL for full auto.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:07 AM   #9

Bought the di466, i really like it, but i have a question, what exactly are the slave modes for? i had a go with them, but doesn't matter how i set them, the pictures come out dark, almost black.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:08 AM   #10

The di466 can be an optical slave. You can have it on a flash stand with the sensor aimed at the camera, and used the pop up flash to trigger it. It does not have TTL ability as an optical flash. But you can set the power by 1/4. That way you can have the flash hitting your subject form a different angle. But it take some time to get good at deploying and optical slave properly. The newer olympus camera with as a metz 44 AF-1 has a ttl slave function where the pop up or hotshoe mounted flash transmits all the info to the slave flash.