Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:49 PM   #1

Default Need technical assistance!

Can anyone help me identify the make/model of a cable that I can use to connect a Sunpak 383 and a Sony F717? I want to move the flash off camera for some of the work I want to do. Thanks
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:37 PM   #2

Default reply

randy o - I do not think such a cable exist. Sony connections are special and require special connectors.

I have a sunpak 383 and use it with my Sony F828. But there is no way to connect the 383 directly to the Sony camera. Instead I purchased a small slave button that attaches to the 383. It cost about $20.00 at the local camera store. Just tell them that you want to make your 383 be a slave strobe.

When you flash your strobe on the F717 the light will instantly set off the slave strobe 383 so you get two flashes working together.
jackb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3

I can use the 383 on the F717 w/o anything else, it works fine that way. My intent is to get it off the camera hotshoe if possible. It may not be. I don't know that I would want the onboard flash to be involved as they are not that good. Hopefully someone will think of a way. Thank you for your response.
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:32 AM   #4

randy o

The only point of the onboard flash would be to trigger the real flash. What jackb70 describes should work very well for you. You place the flash elsewhere and use the onboard to trigger it as a slave flash.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:09 AM   #5

Default randy o

randy - take your strobe to a good local camera store and tell them what you want do do. I think they will be able to provide you with what you need.
jackb70 is offline   Reply With Quote