Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Need flash Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a half decent flash for a Pentax camera. I don't think it is something I would use a lot so don't want to have to pay a lot for it but I just took an evening course in macro photography & the instructor recommended getting one & I figure it is something I should have as I can do a lot more with it than with the built in one on my camera. I want one that can be used in manual mode & that you can adjust the strength on as well as one that has a head that you can swivel & move.

Thanks
Janice
jwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhat View Post
Can anyone recommend a half decent flash for a Pentax camera. I don't think it is something I would use a lot so don't want to have to pay a lot for it but I just took an evening course in macro photography & the instructor recommended getting one & I figure it is something I should have as I can do a lot more with it than with the built in one on my camera. I want one that can be used in manual mode & that you can adjust the strength on as well as one that has a head that you can swivel & move.

Thanks
Janice
The Yongnuo 460II is inexpensive, versatile, and easy-to-use. You can buy more expensive P-TTL, but, for your purposes, the 460II will suit you just fine.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3

For macro, a lot of people like using ring lights. They can be a bit pricey but there is a generic knockoff of a name brand one that is much cheaper. I cant think of its name though, but its on ebay.

I saw a macro photographer talk and he prefers to have a couple small powered flashes on either side of the subject, these are pretty cheap, im not sure which ones they are but you can get a gorrila arm *or what ever its called, im not sure thats the right name* to position the flashes where you want and to hold the object in place like a flower. You can get wireless triggers for cheap on ebay, no need for expensive things for this. Wires will work but I find them annoying.

I personally love vivitar 285hv's, they can be had for $40 on ebay used. Make sure its hv, non hv can fry a digital slr.
GerryDavid is offline   Reply With Quote