Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:01 PM   #11

Yes, you'd need more than the simple sync cord to control duration. Bear in mind the end that plugs into the Metz flash has all the connectors needed for dedicated control. Other flashes like Nikon have a three or four pin connector that emulates what is on the dedicated hot shoe. Might be worth experimenting with a shoe mounted dedicated flash. I think some TTL flashes are as simple as having one pin to trigger and one pin controlling duration to keep backward compatiblity with non-dedicated devices.

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 6:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by NHL
The problem would be more how to turn the Metz OFF once it's triggered... Metz must have a way since they just did the cable!
Yes sure, the Nikon SCA adapter for film SLR use this way
I think that the camera could preflash the external flash to compute TTL as it does with the on board flash .

Quote:
Originally posted by padeye
Other flashes like Nikon have a three or four pin connector that emulates what is on the dedicated hot shoe. Might be worth experimenting with a shoe mounted dedicated flash. I think some TTL flashes are as simple as having one pin to trigger and one pin controlling duration to keep backward compatiblity with non-dedicated devices.
You are right for Nikon ( film SRL) hot shoe specs . I found the Nikon specs on the net b4. My third party Nikon dedicated flash work this way .
- one pin for triggering the flash ( the center one )
- one for cut off the flash
- one for turn on the IR illuminator
- last one for "flash ready" feedback

( all analog / pull down signal )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 8:58 PM   #13
NHL

KCan

... Back to the drawing board?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:05 PM   #14

:P
Old Aug 22, 2002, 6:24 AM   #15
NHL

Default MFI-2 Redux

KCan

I know it can all be done discretly like before, but keep theses folks in mind... In my opinion with a processor you can change your mind later without having to rip out the whole circuit by just changing Basic code. Both the micro and the development board are extremely cost effective!

Beside with a micro one can implement both ADI/pre-flash TTL, and wireless all in one... (provided there's enough latency in the instruction code which I believe there's is on the faster guys)

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by NHL]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:40 PM   #16

Yes NHL, sure it's the ideal way . The problem still obtaining enough information/specs from both Minolta and Metz. Up to date I have just seen some pin out info of nikon shoe on the net , and there are not much people interested to do these stuff :P
Old Aug 23, 2002, 5:39 AM   #17
NHL

KCan

There's a lot of technically inclined people owning the D7, check this guy out, he even decoded the D7 raw format... I don't have a D7i but capturing the wireless flash sequence would be interesting... or at least educational for everyone.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:18 PM   #18

I think we're missing something here. We don't have to know anything about the camera's pinouts or flash pulse specs, just the flash so we can control it. I said the Ikelite slave works by just mimicking everything the camera flash does in real time. No, that wouldn't give you "channels" as the Minolta wirless system does but that wasn't my purpose. My intention was to have a slave unit that allows TTL control from cameras with no provision for flash connection.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:26 PM   #19
NHL

padeye

We're all in agreement, I don't think we miss anything... We just want to come up with one design that we'll work with both. The 'mimic' part is easy since the Metz flash can be bled off... I think KCan and I try to tackle the wireless part which involve a little more digging (i.e. reverse engineering).

With a micro one can select which mode this MFI-3? will operate in... or if KCan is really brilliant he can route the selection all discretly as well with counters and comparators...

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by NHL]
Old Aug 24, 2002, 9:34 PM   #20

Have been thinking about this , may be I will start some test about flash cut off , not with the Metz but with my Nikon compatible flash.
May be a dumb "mimic" circuit is too simple to make use of a processor.
One step at a time ...