Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Flash Extender?

I know of Walt Anderson's Better Beamer Flash Extender but in all my searching I've not come across another such product. Has anyone else used or have knowledge of such a device? It sure seems that it could aid long lens birding.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:07 PM   #2

Yes, there are other products like the BB. One of them is fully enclosed (instead of open like the BB.) It claims to gain you a bit more light than the BB (which is believeable, as less escapes through the open top/bottom.)

I forget the make of that one thought, as it is not nearly as convient as the BB (it doesn't fold up.) So I let it fall out of my head.

I have read a lot of very good things about the BB, in fact... nothing bad. It is on my list of things to buy.

Here is a nice article talking about some experiements in using it:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/tdg0502-1.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:38 PM   #3

I am not familiar with any other than The BB I would like to check them out!!. The BB is a good product and Value, Not much to it, Folds up for easy storage, and works well its one of those products that you say... why didn't I think of that . I have made ones for my strobes. Its a blessing when I use My 600mm, But I have experimented with it for mode shots and is fun to play with . I recomend it Good luck....
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:25 PM   #4

Default Why didn't we think of that?

I guess thr secret to that thing is the lens to redirect some of the light. I can't help thinking that the distance from the flash head would make an impact at different focal lengths. Perhaps we'll have to start a club to investigate this. You want it to work for 600mm and I want it for 500mm birding distances. We need to construct longer sides that are slotted so we can move the lens as needed?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:16 PM   #5

Agreed, The Fresnal glass Can be bought for about $7 letter size and cut, and brackets made for mounting, this is what I did for the strobes, Velcro holds it nicely.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:53 PM   #6

At that price, makes me think I could just buy the lens and build my own.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:49 PM   #7

Eric, I dunno I looked into that but it fits so well and is simple and light weight, For $40 bucks i just decided to order it.