Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:45 PM   #11

Cowboy...

I appreciate that reminder. If I grab a brain and begin to mix your suggestions with NHL's, I may actually begin to get closer to something worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestiona you guys, those shots of mine are overexposed, the DOF isn't wide enough, and the ISO was set too high, all things that need to be changed "immediately." I've been possessed with attempting to reduce DOF in order to isolate individual faces and it has somewhat backfired on me because it's next to impossible to do this when things are rushing about so fast. I've also been stopping "up" my ISO hoping that Neat Image will save me, when I should be thinking about the best way to do things without bringing any post-processing into the formula. Excellent suggestions! Thanks again.

P.S. - my background is art, painting, drawing, things like that. I probably get a bit artzy-fartzy from time to time and I apologize if I'm breaking some rules of photography. I'm sure appreciating the way that some of you are helping me learn to paint a different sort of picture with a different sort of tool, though. Many thanks to you guyz like NHL and Cowboy who take the time to teach us here!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:38 AM   #12

I like the detail in the first picture of the basket ball hoop. I currently own a canon digital rebal with kit lens, the 55-200 and the 420ex flash. I was on the verge of buying the Ef 70-200 F4L but have a strong felling I will want the F2.8 next. So I ordered an EF 50 1.8 instead. How would this shot have looked with the 70-200 F4L and the canon rebel set at iso 800, lens F8, zoom 200mm? Could the 420ex have then brighten the shot better? How much would having a 2.8 with just the 420ex worked.

Also are flash difusers recommended to soften flash shadows?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:29 AM   #13
NHL

For group shots such as theses basketball pictures f/2.8 is not going to help! The DOF is lacking and you would not get everyone into focus.

Even though a 420EX is adequate, a more powerful flash will let you shoot further away or close the aperture down for that extra DOF. A difuser will help, but again you're limiting the flash range (and DOF). In theses situations it's best to use multiple flashes @ different angles to control the shadow, and have even more power for that aperture control!

If all else the multi-strobes setup allow faster re-cycle time than an overworked single unit (or totally burned it out)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:38 PM   #14

Here are some shots I have taken recently using the 420ex. Would upgrading to the Sigma Super of 550EX help make these shots better? I used the 55-200 zoom lens on a Canon Digital Rebel. Also, does anyone know how to set the Canon up with a 3-2 formal at its highest resolution. When I shoot at Full I have to crop about an 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of photo to make it fit 8X10. I have an Olympus Dye-sub printer.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=417633
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote