Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:36 PM   #1

Default Sigma Super with 420EX slave

Well, the new Sigma EF-500 DG Super arrived today so I strapped it on to my Rebel and tested out how the 420EX slaves to it. Quite a difference indeed, and this is definitely going to be a plus for my basketball shoots. I'm looking forward to the next game sometime next week.

Here are a few comparative shots using the 420EX alone (what I have been using up until now), and the Sigma on camera with the 420EX on a stand and slaved:

With only the 420EX:

With the combination:

Quite a "brilliant" difference.
Shots were hand-held, 70-200 F4 L, ISO 100

A short note on "burst" mode with the Sigma and Rebel: what a difference! I can do a 4 shot burst and the Sigma flash keeps up wonderfully; I try the same sort of thing with the 420EX and one shot is all you get with the flash. This Sigma is a pure dream-come-true. I'm already thinking about getting another one.

For those who are considering purchasing one of these beauties: make sure you get the right model, EF-500 DG SUPER for EOS cameras (if for the digital Rebel). I certainly can't guarantee anything if you pick up the wrong model, and lots of SIGMA 500's are out there.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:48 PM   #2
NHL

Let there be light! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:51 PM   #3

Yeah, NHL, I expected some difference but this borders on the fantastic. I'm floored with pleasure.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:49 PM   #4

Just for curiosity, how does the 500 Super compare alone vs. the 420EX? I'm thinking about this for next year's swim season photos as my 420EX is just a little weak. I doubt I'm serious enough to slave the two together, but on the other hand? With the 500 Super onboard the camera, and the 420EX slaved to it, maybe I could speed up the shutter past the x-sync speed of 1/200 sec. I suspect that (based on what I've learned from NHL) I'd still be better off using the 1/200 sec sync speed even with the two of them together. Even then, that would increase my range considerably. Thanks. gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:17 PM   #5

normcar congrats, on the Flash, Now you have opened up a whole new, world called Lighting!! Good Luck!!!
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:11 AM   #6

Cowboy...

Yes, I look forward to playing. I also just received my 100mm F2 lens and spent some time tonight at the basketball court. With this new perspective I need to spend some time playing with all of this new "light" that I have, not to mention the slightly better reach with the 100mm prime as compared to the 50mm/1.8. Here's one of the ones I like, not because of the technical so much as the emotional. I also see some improvement in color saturation in this gym (compared to other photos taken). If you have any suggestions I'd certainly appreciate a tip or two, thanks!

I did a slight crop on this one, keeping that face in the upper right because it just seemed so appropriate:

Here's a shot of the girls showing their teamwork. I liked the emotive quality as well on this one:

Here is some bball noir processed, perhaps a bit too big for here, but I'm posting it because I like the eyes and I think that most of you will forgive me.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:16 AM   #7

tuthill...

There is really no comparison. The Sigma is better all around, and of course it can serve as master to the slave. It's a good buy for sure.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 5:43 AM   #8
NHL

Norm

... Now that you have more light you can close down the aperture!

Most of the other French open pictures, that you liked, were shot at f/6.7 with a Sigma f/2.8 (70-200) for the DOF which you're lacking on your pictures... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:57 AM   #9

NHL...

Words of wisdom as usual, thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:55 PM   #10

Remember also, to shoot at the lowest ISO Posible, I keep it as low as possible, alot of people if you check the exif files have everything cranked up to 1600 and alot of noise . The other night shooting indoor arena, bad lighting I put on the Better Beemer and at 200mm I was able to shoot ISO 200. but even without the beemer I rarely go above 500-800. Good Luck...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote