Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:32 AM   #1

Default External flash with CP4500

Could somebody please tell me if using a Sunpak 433 AF with CP4500, can I use AF assist lamp of the flash to help camera focusing in low light conditions?
César is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2002, 1:17 PM   #2

yes to question 1. but only in manual.

no to question 2
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:25 PM   #3

Thanks, SJMS.
I suppose you understood I asked 2 questions. But I only wanted one.

Now I am asking two:

1)So, I cannot use 433AF in TTL mode with a AS E900 Multiflash adapter?

2)And cannot use AF IR flash light to focus camera?

Best regards.
César

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by César]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 8:00 PM   #4

ques #1- no you cannot use it in ttl mode. the camera does not support it.

quest#2- no you cannot use AF IR flash light to focus camera.

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by César
2)And cannot use AF IR flash light to focus camera?
Well ... if you really want this, find a way to activate the IR illuminator manually , then you can "push that button" in case of necessity . With Nikon film camera , it's a pull down or pull up on one of the secondary pin ( forgot which one)

BTW is it this flash ? ( Sunpack 433AF for Nikon ) I don't see any IR illuminator ?? , I see only the metering cell for auto mode , am I wrong ?

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 1:02 PM   #6

OK. Thanks to both, SJMS and KCan.
Flash yes, it is the one of the picture, Kcan. But the flash is AF Nikon Dedicated.

Autofocus flash with bounce/swivel head, TTL metering for Nikon, Canon EOS, and Minolta I, XI and SJ. (3 f/stop auto ranges, manual control with power ratio to 1/16 power for Nikon version only).
I think the AF lamp is behind the lower part, the piece surrounding the hole of the sensor I think is translucent (red) to allow IR light go out, which is not easy to see in the picture.
But what I’d like to know what kind of “Nikon dedicated flash” is it and what kind of TTL contacts has Coolpix 4500 for an external flash (using AS E900 Muiltiflash cable) that does not support that use. In Nikon instructions or in some review I’ve read that you can use external Nikon dedicated flashes in TTL mode, but without zoom function.
As for TTL flash control all the Coolpix models (9xx, 4500, 5000 & 5700) are not true TTL i.e. the flash sensor isn't housed inside the lens itself... but is actually on the outside of the camera.
Even though this is the case, the Coolpix models control an external flash very well!
The Coolpix will only control the TTL exposure of the flash, which it does well... but it won't control; zoom, second curtain sync, multi (stroboscopic), 3D Multi area TTL Balance, or IR assist.
Even though this is the case, a good external flash is well worth it.
I use the Sunpak PZ-5000AF flash with my 990 and Magic Bracket. I really like the combination of this setup, and the versatility of the the PZ-5000AF.
(Michael Offe opinion in http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3033086)

I have an old TTL ALFON flash with IR illuminator that works fine with my N70 film camera placed in the hot shoe of camera, with 3 Nikon dedicated contacts required. IR assist lamp can be lighted on or not with a switch in the flash but the TTL sensor (the TRUE TTL sensor inside, behind the lens of the N70, which is not regrettably the case of 4500 with its out sensor !!!!) cuts the light of flash when it is enough for the picture.

Coming back to Sunpak 433AF I know that a lot of people use 433 D with 950 and 990 Coolpix. (http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/flashfaq.html http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=2331665
http://www.rosensaft.com/ezra/cp_flashes.htm

The difference between them is that 433D has no AF assist IR light and 433 AF yes. As I’ve also heard complaints on low focusing ability of Coolpix in low licght conditions, I thought could be worth to spend some more money (about $10 or 15) and have that feature in the flash, thinking on 433D or 433AF as “TTL by the sensor” -at least- and compatible with 4500.
I apologize for my English but I hope you can understand my point.
Thanks to both and best regards.
César