Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Battery pack and/or cable pinout info for external flash

Hello,
I am looking for some info on the pinouts for the cable that is used to connect the Sunpak 5000AF to an external battery pack.

The flash unit has 3 pins. When I connect a volt meter to two of the pins I get voltage equal to the output of the batteries. When I remove the batteries and connect power to these two pins, the display on the flash unit comes on, but the cap will not charge. I suspect that the third pin (which shows no voltage) is somehow involved in charging the cap.

Does anyone know anything about what needs to be connected to each of the 3 pins? I also have a Canon 550 that also has 3 pins for the external power source connection, so I would guess this flash uses the same connections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gweedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:32 PM   #2

The Sunpak TR-2000 battery pack would do the trick. I have the previous version of it. However, I would really consider a Quantum battery. The Quantum Battery 1 has 2 outlets so you could power 2 flashes or a camera and a flash. I have 2 of em. The Quantum Turbo series are even higher quality longer lasting batteries. They can put out more voltage and they can power my Quantum QFlash. Either way, you can either get a cord that hooks into the 3-pin outlet you talked about or a battery module that fits in the battery compartment of your flash. I'm not sure, but I think on the 550 you need batteries or the battery module in the battery compartment in order to get TTL to work.
Hope this helps!
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:57 PM   #3

The thing I'm trying to avoid is buying an expensive dedicated battery packs or cable.

I purchased two of the Maha PowerBank units. Turns out they last so long that I only need one for my camera so I have an extra one that I want to use to power my flash.
gweedoh is offline   Reply With Quote