Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 24, 2002, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Does anyone have a Vivitar 6000 ring flash?

I'm trying to find some information about the Vivtar ring flash. The specs make it seem like it _only_ works in TTL mode. I'm sure this doesn't include the Dimage 7. I'm not looking to use it for macro work but for portraiture. The guide number indicates it might have enough power. Does it have a manual mode? An ordinary automatic mode?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2002, 5:39 PM   #2

I have it. It is TTL only. I don't think it is powerful enough for portraits, but maybe for fill. I use it with a Nikon N80 for macro, setting flash compensation on the camera body. It gives the effect of a reflector when used that way, and I can see it working that way for portraits, with wide enough aperture and fast shutterspeed. But if you want NON TTL, I think the AUTO version is the Vivitar 5000. Don't know if they still make it. Adorama may sell it under their own name.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2002, 6:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, you saved me a lot of headaches. It would almost certainly not work in TTL mode with the Dimage 7. The 5000 flash isn't an option as it's much less powerful. I think I'm going to bag the ringlight plan and use some methods I got from some pros on another board. As for the macro I built a horseshoe shaped diffuser that uses the built in flash and works remarkalby well at a near zero cost.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:13 PM   #4

do you know if this ring flash can be used with a digital camera? If I use it with my Canon Rebel Ti can i use it with a Canon 20d?
stOOpidgErL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

stOOpidgErL wrote:
Quote:
do you know if this ring flash can be used with a digital camera? If I use it with my Canon Rebel Ti can i use it with a Canon 20d?
I'm not sure about this one but I use a Vivitar 285HV with digital cameras with great results. I believe Sunpack also makes a good ring flash too.

Even though they are not strong enough for portrait images (as the only light source)...I've seen some very cool images using a ring-flash for the fill light. They produce a very cool circle shaped catchlight in the eyes!
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:26 AM   #6

padeye

Posted: Sun Aug 25th, 2002 07:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, you saved me a lot of headaches. It would almost certainly not work in TTL mode with the Dimage 7. The 5000 flash isn't an option as it's much less powerful. I think I'm going to bag the ringlight plan and use some methods I got from some pros on another board. As for the macro I built a horseshoe shaped diffuser that uses the built in flash and works remarkalby well at a near zero cost

I am very interested in how the diffuser was made. Thanks

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7
BTU

Have you found out about using the Vivitar 6000 on a Canon 20D?

Looking for a less expensive alternative to the Canon flash.

Thanks
BTU is offline   Reply With Quote