Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 29, 2002, 7:45 PM   #1

Default Sync unit for digicam

Need help using "old" film-cam slaves with digicam pre flash. Is there a sensor unit that will output properly timed signal, so that pics don't come out dark.
badboytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:00 AM   #2

Wein have new devices for digicam slaving

Or make your own :P
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 1:27 AM   #3

Default Re: Wein products

Thanks for the info, but maybe I need to clarify.

I am looking to use slaves with PC socket with non hotshoe Nikon digicams. I am looking for "cheap" products to help fire old tech flash at proper time. or be able to make a cable to connect from Nikon I/O to adapt to PC socket. Sorry, if I wasn't clear before. If none I may have to invest in new digi-friendly slaves and sell old ones on ebay . . .
Old Aug 30, 2002, 2:40 PM   #4

Wein makes a digital version of the peanut slave, I think that's what you want. They don't even show it on their website yet. Might check with B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ There is also the Digislave SA-10, I have one, but it's about $80. http://www.srelectronics.com/sa10.html They web page doesnt show it but it has a short cord with a sync socket to plug into your sync cord or flash.

[Edited on 8-30-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 3:32 PM   #5

Thanks podeye! This sounds like what I am looking for. It is a wonder that this type of product is so rare, Since it would seem logical that ther would be folks that could make some bucks with this "bridge" between technologies!
Old Aug 30, 2002, 3:39 PM   #6

It's a bit of a niche market. Let's face it, how many folks with P&S digicams want external flash? Some but not the majority. Folks to want to use external or studio flash are going to get cameras with a PC or hot shoe connection. The only reaon I have the digislave is because of the difficulty using the early Dimage 7 with studio flash before the 122u upgrade. No need for it now as I can work well with hardwired sync of use normal slaves from the internal flash in manual mode. If I could find my SA-10 I'd sell it to someone who needs it.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 6:26 PM   #7

Default Wein digital goodies

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Photo image (poor quality) at bottom of page.

Credit goes to Steve for showing me this a couple of weeks ago. Be advised: Safe syncs aren't slaves; slaves aren't safe according to folks at Wein.
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 1:56 AM   #8

How are slaves "not safe" if they eliminate the physical connection to the camera?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 3:41 PM   #9

Default I can use old-fashion slaves again!!

This is a cool product that will help if you have an older slave you want to use with a digicam usin a pre-flash to set white balance! this link will point to a neat gadget that will keep you from going thru poorly lit photos, even when a slave is used that goes off with a camera's pre-flash:

http://www.srelectronics.com/sa10.html

Just a hint, optical sensor may need to be disabled to get slave to fire properly.

I believe the SA-10 senses flash from top of unit. To test, take a pic with SA-10 and sleve and the slave should be seen "flashing"! Heh Heh Cool!

Old Sep 10, 2002, 3:53 PM   #10

Default Devil's advocate

Wein now has a digital peanut slave that's about half the cost of the SA-10. FWIW I just sold my SA-10 for about half what I paid for it on eBay and only got one bid.