Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Kind of weird flash question.

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with my Vivitar DF200 flash and Cannon A80 camera,

I'm trying to workout some way to make the DF200 fire only when my camera's flash goes off and not when another camera with the same number of pre-flashes is used in the same area. Most of my attempts have focused on using a small tube made out of cardboard to channel light from the built-in flash to the light sensor of the Vivitar, thus blocking the sensor from all light other than my camera's flash. This has been rather unsuccessful, and I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,
~Andy
Tonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:30 AM   #2

I am assuming you are using Your DF 200 as a slave flash Correct? If So about the only way to prevent other cameras from trigger your flash is to got to Radio Slaves. Quantum, Pocket Wizzard, are just two that I use. The transmitter attatches to your hot shoe and the reciver to your flash... Radio signals trip the flash ( cable must be purchased for the Flash to reciever) You can set your own chanal combination so anyone else using the same thing won't set them all off. Cost... Anyware from $400-500 for the pair I Think.... Good luck...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:52 PM   #3

Actually I think I got it fixed last night when I thought of using a bit of aluminum foil on the out side of the card broad for extra shielding. I'm only trying to mount it right next to my camera anyway, so I won't need a terribly adaptable solution.

Thanks anyway,
~Andy
Tonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:07 AM   #4

Default Photos from Paraguay

Hi everybody:

I'm from Paraguay en new member here. I like to share with you my photos.
kloncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:30 AM   #5

Default Re: Kind of weird flash question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonin
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with my Vivitar DF200 flash and Cannon A80 camera,
Most of my attempts have focused on using a small tube made out of cardboard to channel light from the built-in flash to the light sensor of the Vivitar, thus blocking the sensor from all light other than my camera's flash. This has been rather unsuccessful, and I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,
~Andy
Andy,
Once I had the quite same "problem" to solve because I shoot with a slave flash but the ambient didn't have enough reflection to redirect the camera flash to the slave sensor. My solution was an optic fibre from the flash to the sensor.
The optic fibber I used came with a special flashlight I had, but I guess it can be found easily .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:41 AM   #6

Hi,

I have similar problems with my slave flash (Soligor 280AZ). Could you describe the details of your solitions? Where and how have you placed the bit of aluminum foil and what kind of optic fiber have you used?

Thanks.

Gyuri
wgyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:00 AM   #7

Wgyuri,

About my optical fibre thing, I did not need to shield the camera flash, so I did not use any aluminium or other material. My goal was just redirecting part of the camera flash to the sensor. One end of the fibre points to the camera flash, the other end pointing the slave sensor. Masking tape is fine for a temporary setup
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 4:14 PM   #8

I am about to use a slave flash as well. In this situation I'd use some sort of fiber optic device. I have found some on cars at the wreckers. One ford PU had a plastic FO giving light to the ashtray. I got a few of them as i was into RC cars and used them to make tailights. i'm glad I dept them as they wil be of some use now as well.
Forgiven is offline   Reply With Quote