Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:10 AM   #1

Default 550 EX + G5 = no af assistent?

Hi.
Yesterday i tried and G5 with 550 EX and notice 2 things and doubt it, but, i am to hear from you:

1. G5 doesn't use the 550 AF assistent (I saw no red lights working!!!)
2. In the 550's rear panel the range distante doesn't appear at most of the time. Why? (In fact from 22 shots it does appear once!)

Thanks a lot again
pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:46 PM   #2

No Canon non SLR digital camera (not even the new Pro 1) utilizes the AF assist light on the flash unit- totally crazy, but designed to drive you into a Canon DSLR I'm sure. Same holds true with Nikon Digicams that have a hot shoe. I first bought the G5, but got a digital Rebel as soon as I could afterwards. That's not the only gripe I have. With my Digital Rebel, and indeed with any Canon film SLR, you can switch to full manual and pick your own f-stops and shutter speeds and the flash units continue to work in TTL mode. If you turn your G5 to full manual mode, the 550EX will flash, but at full blast, so you have to utilize a guide number system and manually calculate the correct f-stop to use.

My G5/550EX combination shows the distance scale all the time, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:48 AM   #3

I'm willing to bet your flash head is in the -7 degree instead of 0. In other words check that the bounce adjustment on the head is set correctly, the distance scale turns off when you move it from 0 position.
Wolfclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:11 AM   #4
NHL

Wolfclan wrote:
Quote:
I'm willing to bet your flash head is in the -7 degree instead of 0. In other words check that the bounce adjustment on the head is set correctly, the distance scale turns off when you move it from 0 position.
An icon will glow, but the distance scale still work in this position... I agree it will go off in any other position though, but @ 0 and -7 should be OK (at least that's how it works on mine)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote