Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:01 AM   #1

Default Which flash is best?

I have a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and am looking for an external flash with some power to reach 40-50 feet or so.

Which flash is best, and which one besides the Nikon flashes will utilize the most features of the camera?

Also, is being able to hold the flash away from the camera important and why?

Thanks for the help.
hangloose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:00 AM   #2

40-50 feet is fairly far. You should look up the guide numbers on the various flashes, and that will tell you their power.

Having the flash held away from the camera helps reduce red eye, and can effect shadows (for good or bad.) You can do this with a sync cable, a radio slave flash system (a device plugs into the hot-shoe on the camera) or sync it to fire when your on-camera flash fires. (this last one can be tricky because most/all digital cameras fire a preflash for metering reasons, so make sure whatever flash you get can be set to ignore this "preflash".)

I don't know a Nikon, so I can't help you with which will be better for your camera.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:14 PM   #3

If you wanna buy a good flash for Nikon cameras, I can recommend the following two flashes:
  • The SB-800 (If u dont care about cots, this is the best choice for nikon cameras- my experiences with it is fantastic)[/*]
  • The SB-600 (doesnt have very high guide no.)[/*]
AhmadXMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:25 PM   #4
NHL

hangloose1 wrote:
Quote:
Which flash is best, and which one besides the Nikon flashes will utilize the most features of the camera?

Also, is being able to hold the flash away from the camera...
Check out the Sigma EF-500DG Super - It works equally well on the Nikon as it does with Canon, same deal here: Cost the same as an SB-600 but with much higher Guide Number (ie it 'll reach 50ft with lens of f/3.3 or larger): http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3257

BTW it does wireless too!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote