Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 22, 2004, 9:50 AM   #11

It's definitely between the Vivitar DF200 & the Phoenix D91-BZS (price for both is identical at B&H) but I can't decide between the two. HELP!... :angry:

Tomac
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 6:24 PM   #12

Tomac wrote:
Quote:
It's definitely between the Vivitar DF200 & the Phoenix D91-BZS (price for both is identical at B&H) but I can't decide between the two. HELP!... :angry:

Tomac
Please read my comments I gave on May 12th. Here is a quote from that.

"Let me say that the vivitar DF-200 and Phoenix D91-BZS are exactly the same flashes, well except the name printed on it"
jpm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 11:09 AM   #13

My Phoenix D92-BZS arrived from B&H and so far it works fine, looks like it's exactly what I need. Despite different specs/weight as taken from B&H's website it appears that the earlier posts about the D92-BZS being identical to the Vivitar DF-200 are correct! I even compared their manuals and except for a few minor differences the manuals are nearly identical as well (in fact, several pages are identical, word for word). My only concern so far is that I wish the battery compartment door was a little more substantial. But then, what can I expect for $70? Thx to all who contributed to this thread!...

Tomac
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:05 PM   #14

Hi Tomac,

What accessories go with the D92-BZS flash?

Is this included the flash, bracket, synch cord, and base?

dntrng
dntrng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:07 PM   #15

dntrng wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tomac,

What accessories go with the D92-BZS flash?

Is this included the flash, bracket, synch cord, and base?

dntrng

Flash, bracket, tripod & manual. No synch cord, what's a base?

Tomac
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:19 AM   #16
thw

Tomac, did you get the D92-BZS or D91-BZS? You claim that the D92-BZS is the same as the Vivitar DF200, but people are saying that the D91-BZS is the same as the Vivtar model(including price). Can you clarify this?
thw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:36 AM   #17

jpm28 wrote:
Quote:
, ofcourse it cannot have AF assist cuz its an external flash.
DX6490 wrote:
Quote:
This is not entirely true. The sigma 500 and the Quantaray 700(made by sigma) do have AF assist and it works because I have the Quantaray
But those are TTL flashes, right? In that case (as long as it can talk TTL with the camera) AF assist is possible via the flash.

The slaves on the otherhand have no connection to the camera, they only fire when they "see" the internal flash of your camera (or any other camera flash) going off. Therefore no AF assist is possible (unless they have a built-in flashlight which you turn on/off when the camera is focusing).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:05 AM   #18

thw wrote:
Quote:
Tomac, did you get the D92-BZS or D91-BZS? You claim that the D92-BZS is the same as the Vivitar DF200, but people are saying that the D91-BZS is the same as the Vivtar model (including price). Can you clarify this?

My bad. I did get the D91-BZS and it appears to be virtually identical to the Vivitar including most of the manual!

Tomac
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:38 AM   #19

What kind of camera you used? I have sony P8. Can I used Phoenix D91-BZSorvivitar DF-200? I can't find any sony camera user review. Are these flash compatible with my sony P8?

Thank

Zmo
Zaw 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:46 PM   #20

Just got mine D91-BZS this Friday to test on the Canon IS S1 and I am confused:?.

Canon S1 use a Red-eye beam instead of the flash for red-eye reduction, so the D91 can be set to single to trigger. Unfortunately, I get inconsistent results.

The 1st flash output from the D91 from power-on is extremely bright, while everyshot afterward results in a "fill-in" effect. The problem is I cant tell if the flash is going to do "fill-in" or a superBlast.

Anyone run to this problem? Is it because the D91 sense the amount of power from the camera & adjust accordingly? I thought it's just 4 selectable power setting and the flash should be a dumb flash.

PS: D91 can learn the # of flashes given by any camera, but lose the setting on power off.

chipnham is offline   Reply With Quote