Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:59 AM   #21

http://www.phoenixcorp.com/Flash/Dig...tal_flash.html

chipnham,
The Phoenix D91-BZS specs say that there is 4 F stop settings, not 4 manual power settings (dumb flash at full, 1/2, 1/4 etc... power ), Meaning it will reduce its power when it,s sensor received enough light.

I suspect that the final burst from your camera built in flash is somewhat captured by the Phoenix sensor directely. Make sure that the sensor of the phoenix sees only the light bonced back by/from the subject.

Of course, I assume that the phoenix is triggered correctly, ie fired with the camera built in flash final burst.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:36 PM   #22

Canon S1 always flash once, so it cannot confuse the flash. So what u r telling me is that this is an "auto" adjustable power flash and not a dumb flash I initially thought.

BTW, how consistent of a pics are u having with this flash. Do u always get correct exposure? If so what setting do u used for taking pics (Ae,Tv, manual,program,)???

TIA

Chip
chipnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:06 PM   #23

chipnham
1) No, I do not have this flash, and never try it before, I just try find out your problem
2) If the S1 flash once, it's great. But I wonder if the slave needs nevertheless to go through the learning process once turned on?
3) Check your manual or the indication on the flash to make sure the specs (on the web) is right, ie the settings are F stop, not power level ( F stop are marked : F2.0, F2.8 etc … ; Power level are matked: Full, ½, ¼ , etc …)
4) For consistency, put use your cam on manual exposure;
- Speed: you choose: 1/60, 1/100 are good starting point.
- Aperture: it have to match the flash setting for correct flash output (meaning the sensor on the slave sees the on board flash out put + slave flash output , then it stops the slave output at the right moment to have the correct "dosage" corresponding to the aperture chosen)
- If possible put the on board flash on full or fixed ouput
5) I still convinced that your problem is the slave sensor capturing light from the on board flash directly . You may try putting a cardboard to avoiding the on board flash reaching the sensor directly for example, or try a tube to force the sensor seeing only light from the subject.

Note: You can also use this flash as a dumb flash if you like: You just have to block the sensor, then it will fully burst (because there are no light seen from the subject, so it tries to lighten the subject even more, to its max power)

Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:20 AM   #24

Atm, the Vivitar is cheaper at B&H... :-)
Question: Is it possible to connect the Vivitar (or the Phoenix for that sake) to the hot shoe on my camera (Olympus C-750UZ) or does it only work as a slave flash?
Luthion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:51 AM   #25

Luthion wrote:
Quote:
Question: Is it possible to connect the Vivitar (or the Phoenix for that sake) to the hot shoe on my camera (Olympus C-750UZ) or does it only work as a slave flash?

Not all slave flash has a ... hot hotshoe (with a electric trigger pin)
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat...S&refid=39
The Phoenix D79 BZS mention it clearly
------------quote:
The Phoenix D79-BZS has a guide # of 79 (in feet) @ the 50mm setting.The unit operates via the camera's hot shoe or as a slave with the camera's built-in flash
-------------

The DSF-1S also operate via hotshoe
http://www.srelectronics.com/dsf1s.html
---------------quote:
In addition to being a slave flash for digital cameras, the DSF-1s can also be used as an ordinary 'Hot shoe' flash for any camera digital or conventional with a hot shoe connector. Two automatic and a manual exposure mode are featured.
----------------

When this is not mentionned, the flash has probably a "cold" shoe, acting just as mechanical support.
Of course, if you use it via hotshoe, check for usual precaution ie the trigger voltage. Also, you must use it in manual mode, or auto mode if the flash offer this mode (no dedicated metering).

The Vivitar 120do not to have a shoe (it mounts on a bracket)
The Vivitar 200 has probably a "cold" shoe

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flashes/flash.html
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:30 AM   #26

Greetings..

I too bought a DF200 from BH. Worked fine initally but after 2 mos of sparse use, it quit seeing my cameras flash (olympus e-volt 500). Then began to fire randomly. BH wouldn't let me return it to them and told me I had to mail it back to Vivitar to get it fixed. What a pain! Everyone knows how much fun it is to return something to the manufacturer for repairs. *groan* *wait..wait ..more waiting..*

The DF is NOT a hot shoe flash. Only a slave. In retrospect I prob should of opted for one with a hot shoe. For ease of use. If I get the Vivitar back and it works, I'll use that one for my 'on the ground w/tripod- fill flash'.

In the meantime I saved my $ and got a Olympus FL36 digital TTL. But NOW I'm having issues with it not communicating with my camera and not allowing the TTL function. AAAARGH! Anyone else with this problem? Im sure its some stupid setting on my camera that is the problem, but I can't figure it out. Guess I"m gonna have to put in a call to Olympus. *sigh*

ALSO having probs with my E500 being unable to focus in low light. Any suggestions?

Thanks..I love this forum.
Soccrbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:24 PM   #27

I'm interested in buying the Phoenix D91 but live in the UK. Does anybody know of a site that will ship international orders? Thanks.
shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:15 PM   #28
mzs

Quote:
Phoenix D91 but live in the UK
Try B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...alDelivery.jsp

mzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:20 AM   #29

http://search.stores.ebay.nl/VIDEO-C...326429QQsofpZ0
Wheaten is offline   Reply With Quote