Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 9, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1

I'm looking for an external flash to help out my Pentax Optio 33WR when its built-in flash isn't sufficent. The Phoenix looks better than the Vivitar on paper but I haven't been able to find any real reviews/reports on the Phoenix. Any input welcome. Thx!...

Tomac
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2004, 10:53 AM   #2

Tomac wrote:
Quote:
... The Phoenix looks better than the Vivitar on paper ...

Tomac

You mean the appearance ?

I just look at both of them on the net:

- Both has about the same power ( GN of 28 m at 50mm coverage)

- The Vivitar has 4 selectable power levels (Full, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), not the Phoenix, just this make the Vivitar a better choice , in my opinion.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 10:59 AM   #3

Not the appearane, the features. Both appear similar but if memory servesthe Vivitar has to be reprogrammed each timefor your camera's flash characteristics. I don't know if this is true or notfor the Phoenix. (Like I said, haven't been able to find any reviews of the Phoenix yet).

Tomac

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Tomac wrote:
Quote:
... The Phoenix looks better than the Vivitar on paper ...

Tomac

You mean the appearance ?

I just look at both of them on the net:

- Both has about the same power ( GN of 28 m at 50mm coverage)

- The Vivitar has 4 selectable power levels (Full, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), not the Phoenix, just this make the Vivitar a better choice , in my opinion.

Old May 9, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4

I agree that forgetting the setting when turned off is a poor design.

BTW, while surfing, I see that the Phoenix D91-BZS has 4 stop settings, but cost more of course.

http://www.pcaol.com/product.cfm?ProductID=597

I guess that on both the D91 and D92, the selection of preflash or not is simply a switch , but I am not sure.

Old May 9, 2004, 2:10 PM   #5

I see the D91 for $69 & the D92 for $49 at B&H. The D91 actually looks better for my needs than the D92! I agree, on the D92it looks like you can manually choose between flash/preflash and in addition w/the D91 you also have an autodetect & autofocus assist. Hmmm....

Tomac
Old May 10, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6

Tomac,.

Are you sure it has autofocus assist ? I don"t think a slave flash can have that feature
Old May 11, 2004, 12:43 AM   #7

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Tomac,.

Are you sure it has autofocus assist ? I don"t think a slave flash can have that feature

That's what the spec sheet says.

Tomac
Old May 12, 2004, 4:12 PM   #8

here is what I think about the vivitar DF-200. I just purchased it from B&H and had to return it cuz it failed to fire a flash after various attempts. But B&H being a great seller, is refunding me the money. Let me say that the vivitar DF-200 and Phoenix D91-BZS are exactly the same flashes, well except the name printed on it:-). Well the contruction of this flash can be graded as "poor". It has great features but its durability can be questioned even if it works. It does not have a "TEST" button, ofcourse it cannot have AF assist cuz its anexternal flash. I am going to try the D92-BZS and see if it works, I will let you know. now this commentmay or may not help you :-)

-- okay so I did get the D91-BZS from B&H for $50.00. I have tosay it does what its supposed to do. see the specs for more info. I don't know what it means byrecycle time. I assumed its the time for the flash to get ready for the next one. But apparentlythat is not the case. I set up two cameras to fire their built in flashwithin .5 seconds. and WOW theD91-BZS firedtwice i.e. within 0.5 seconds. All this means is that I don't have to wait for the slave flash once the ready light is on. any comments?? also I am not sure how AF assist works, anyways. let me know.

Thnx

jpm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 9:58 PM   #9

jpm28 wrote:
Quote:
... I will let you know. now this commentmay or may not help you :-)
I think all comments are welcome to inform people aboutbad or good experiences with various products. Of course, opinions are always subjective, but always usefull :?
Old May 12, 2004, 10:40 PM   #10

jpm28 wrote:
Quote:
, ofcourse it cannot have AF assist cuz its anexternal flash.
This is not entirely true. The sigma 500 and the Quantaray 700(made by sigma) do have AF assist and it works because I have the Quantaray
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote