Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 14, 2002, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Nikon CoolPix 4500/external flash options

I just purchased the 4500 and would like to know if any of the following Canon flash units (300TL,299T,199A or 177A)are compatible with the Nikon when used in conjunction with The Rollbar flash bracket

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob Miller
panzer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 8:34 AM   #2

I don't now about the canon units but I use a metz CL 45 4 with a SCA346/2AF with my CP 4500 and it works well. I shot a 3 day symposium for a Computer users group.

And this set up worked faultlesly the entire time. Though I could of done with large flash mounted diffuser for some of the closer portrait shots.

Joseph
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:11 PM   #3

Joseph,
Just curious : are you using the Metz in ttl mode ? or just auto-aperture mode?

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 4:19 AM   #4

Using it in TTL mode
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Using it in TTL mode
You can't use the TTL mode on the CP500 even with the dedicated Nikon speedlite. There is no D-TTL mode on any Nikon coolpix cameras, only in automatic flash mode only, you can only achieve the D-TTL mode with the D-100, D1x and D1h and use must use Nikon 28DX, 50DX or 80DX...Metz is a very good brand flash, but they can not make the TTL work if the camera originally wasn't designed for TTL...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:11 AM   #6

Hi tuanokc,

The Coolpix do not have true TTL flash mode, the flash sensor is located just below the pop-up flash on the CP4500.

I have found that if I set my Metz 45cl to the TTL setting and turn of the internal CP4500 flash that the CP4500 flash sensor does control the flash exposure, and gives correctly exposed images.

I have tested this and it is correct, it may not be true TTL flash but the CP4500 is definitely controlling the flash output and exposure.

If I set the Metz to aperture mode the flash sensor on the Metz controls the exposure.

Regards,

Joseph
Old Oct 5, 2002, 4:07 PM   #7

i dont think a nikon shoe can handle a Canon speedlight.
I have the Nikon 4500 (same as you) with a Rollbar (i bought after reading steve's review). I bought it with the AS-900 shoe. Then i bought a Nikon SB-50dx speedlight and i am very pleased with that configuration.
You can buy any flash with "NIKON" compatibility shoe i think.
ImageVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:18 PM   #8

i wanted to add that the coolpix serie is not compatible with the AF-light and the motorized speedlight feature. So, the speedlight won't help you in dark scenes to adjust focus and you will have to manually change the zoom mode of the speedlight.
ImageVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 1:51 PM   #9

The Nikon 4500 poses some interesting problems for the user. It does not use a standard pc attachment for an external flash and so you must buy the proprietary cord from nikon, at least in my area. I bought the SB-50dx flash as an external flash and found that it had only a 40 second standby time whereupon it went "to sleep" so to speak. Pressing the 4500 shutter button would wake up the flash but would not fire it. A second push was required to fire the flash. This proved most unsatisfactory to me and Nikon's suggestion to the dealer was that this flash was not suited to the 4500 but that the SB- 80DX was the flash to use. I traded up to this unit and found that while I could now vary the length of time before the stand by cycle kicked in, I had precisely the same problem as before; while in the standby mode, the first push of the shutter button will only wake up the flash unit but WILL NOT FIRE it. Nikon's answer is to turn off the standby feature, something which you cannot do with the SB-50DX and just go ahead and use up your battery. Considering I have spent nearly $600.00 cdn for a flash which I find unsatisfactory, you might say I am less than enthused with Nikon. Nothing in their literature indicates that you will have this particular problem and the dealer seems to be caught unawares as well.
It might be nice to hear from others who have similar problems with this setup.
Don
donaldw is offline   Reply With Quote